Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery from XPDocuments and Settings folder

• Please log in to reply

watchmanme

watchmanme

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi:

I was running XP Home, till yesterday when the system wouldn't boot--corrupted Win.ini file I think. Anyway, I followed instructions and attempted to repair it using the "r" option at the first console Window during a reinstall of Windows XP home. This didn't work. I ended up trying to reinstall Windows (repairing it), but the reinstall crapped out because it couldn't write some folder or other. (I now suspect hard drive problems.) But in the process, I selected the "L" option, which deleted the old user settings--about 4 years' worth of stuff--email, documents and so forth.

I then decided to put another OS on my D drive, to see what was still intact on C, so I am now running Professional 2000 on D. Most of my files are still on C, including most of my old XP Home files. All the other users' files are still there, including the old all users Shared Documents. The only things that appear to be missing are those in my old "My Documents" folder.

Is there any way to recover these things? I suspect that during my attempt to reinstall XP Home it erased most of them. But I don't see why it would erase just mine, and not the other users.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

maybe