Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port on Dell C-640 doesn't always work

• Please log in to reply

Barjo4

Barjo4

• Pip
  • 8 posts
On our Dell notebook the USB port began to act erratically. Some items work when plugged in but some - like a Memorex flash memory - are not recognized by Windows. According to Systems, the USB port is working correctly. With my Panasonic mp3 player, I can wiggle the unit in the slot and it begins to load but then it is not recognized.
These used to work perfectly. An SD card reader continues to work normally.

I would like to buy a plug in USB port that goes in the side in the bus slot, rather than spend a lot of money to get the port repaired.

I pretty much a novice with computers.

Thank, John

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Intermittent problems with USB ports are notoriously baffling and therefore difficult to troubleshoot, but they are generally more reliable if SP2 (Service Pack 2) is installed, so If you don't have this major (free) update from Microsoft I strongly urge you to get it now. You can either download it or order a free SP2 CD from here:

http://www.microsoft...p2/default.mspx

Barjo4

Barjo4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked and this laptop has all the Windows XP2 updates. I can only assume there is something wrong with the port itself as it is erratic. This is why I would like to know about the plug in ports like the one Lynksys makes.
John

Barjo4

Barjo4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I went ahead and bought a Belkin USB card and installed it with no problem. The USB flash memory works again. Unfortunately, the wireless adapter won't fit with the UAB card in the other slot. Staples said they would take back the adapter and then I will look at a wireless adapter that goes in a USB port.