Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need some help

• Please log in to reply

mvine

mvine

• Pip
  • 7 posts
just got this new game got er installed went to start it and got an error. the error reads cannot create d3d hal device with software vertex processing.then i press ok and another box pops up and says error initializing direct 3d window. so i was hoping some on this board could help me out. thanks "mike"

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

We really need you to tell us your system specs (processor, ram, hdd size, make and model of your graphics card, make and model of your computer) as well as the name and minimum specs of the game.

Murray

mvine

mvine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks murray for the quick reply.im using a acer laptop with windows xp the specs are technology ml-30, 1.60ghz, 960 mb of ram, amd turion™ 64 mobile im not sure whats in it for a graphics card. the name of the game is (Darkness Within). the specs on the game,windows xp (cpu) 1ghz intel pentium processor or amd anthlon (ram)256mb (video)128 directx 90c or better video card. i also have the directx on my computer. anyways hope this helps you help me,thanks again mike

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You only have half the video ram running the game requires.

Boot into BIOS and see if you can adjust the video up to 128megs.

Murray

mvine

mvine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks again Murry im not sure how to do this.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Watch your screen as the system boots. It should tell you what key to press to enter setup.

The documentation you received with yor computer should give you the needed directions.

Murray

mvine

mvine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i set it at 128, no dice,i guess its time to upgrade. anyways thanks for the help Murray.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you made sure you have Directx 9.0 installed?

Also, check the box the game came in. It should tell you what versions of Windows the game was made for.

Murray