Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using Bittorrent/P2P

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

markw47

markw47

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to downloading videos. I have been reading up on BitTorrent and P2P technology. There is a lot of terminology to digest. I get the feeling that it works well, is fast, free and there is a wider and larger choice of videos to choose from.

I understand that you have to:
1. Select a bittorrent client which provides you with the program.
2.Then you have to find a torrent search engine to find movies in the torrent format.
3. Choose a movie, download via P2P and hope it does not have any malware attached.

Looking at the BitTorrent Client info on Wikipedia shows quite a few BitTorrent Clients.

BitTorrent6.0, BitTornado, burst and Azureus seem to be recommened.

Wikipedia shows the followiing search engines:
* Btjunkie
* Demonoid
* FlixFlux
* Isohunt
* Mininova
* The Pirate Bay
* TorrentSpy
NuTorrent (for adult stuff)

For security programs i have Norton IS 2008 and Spyblaster

I read that up to 35% of the internet traffic could be bittorrent content so apparently it is quite popular.

I have two questions:
1. Security. Are there some other freeware programs that I should install before installing a bittorrent client and a torrent search engine?
2. Which client programs and search engines are the best.

Thanks,
Mark

Advertisements

markw47

markw47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I posted this same question in another forum and here was the reply by one of their staff members:

"Hi, thanks for visiting CHF.

Unfortunately, we can't help you with your problem, because it involves an illegal subject matter. If we were to help you, we would be liable for the crimes that you might commit with the information.

Sorry, we can't help you."

I must say that I was shocked that this is a taboo subject on his forum. Is this the case on all forums? Surely there is no legal precedent for holding a forum administrator legally liable for his staff members giving an opinion on a subject.

I read up some on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It would seem to me that there is a big difference between the actual "dissemination of technology, devices, or services that are used to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works" and giving a member of your forum your opinion on the subject matter. Are the staff members of all forums intimidated to this degree?

And by the way, Wikipedia has plenty of information on bittorrent technology and even gives names and links to websites that use bittorrent technology. Both clients and networks. What is different about them? I don't get it!

Thanks,
Mark

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Wikipedia is simply a source of information, and not even always a reliable one, given that it's written by members of the general public. It is our policy not to support any form of P2P, filesharing, etc., and that is stated clearly in the terms of use you agreed to when you joined the forum. This topic is closed.