Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

360 cant get media sharing

• Please log in to reply

sirus20x6

sirus20x6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i have a bit of a problem with media sharing, i can get media sharing to work if i directly connect my 360 to one of my computers and setup the network settings manually. it wont work on automatic even though it picks the same ip, netmask, and gateway (no clue why).

what I really need though is to get it to work with my linksys router so i can get media off of all of my computers. there is no firewall hardware or software, there are no antivirus or other network blocking software on any of my PCs. two of the computers are running win xp sp2 and one is running win xp sp3.
I have zune sharing software on one pc and WMP 11 on the other two. my xbox is connected by a cable to a lan port of my router, the pc with the zune software that is sp2 is connected with one NIC to the lan port and the other to the wan port (so i can share internet with all my devices and still share files with my other computers). my other two machines are connected to the router through wifi. All of my cmputers can see each other in the network, sharing files works between all computers (even when i use linux). my router lists all the computers but the 360 comes up with a host name of just an asterix.

xbox live works fine.
360 media test fails on computer selected.
i have also tried to put the 360 in the dmz doesnt help.
my other computers can ping the 360.
my routers lan ip address are setup as 192.168.1.xxx with my 360 being 192.168.1.139
my xp sp 2 comp with zune software has an ip of 192.168.1.114 on the lan port and 192.168.0.1 on the wan port
netmask is of course 255.255.255.0 on all machines.

I'm really out of ideas. I would like to stress again that none of my computers have software firewalls or active antivirus software, there is no firewall between anything on the lan segment, all ports are open, no protocols are blocked.

I even went through on one machine and reset all the services in the admin tool to the defaults because I had them tweaked pretty lean.

Any help would be great.

Advertisements