Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Internet Explorer keeps hanging

• Please log in to reply

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
For some reason my Internet Explorer keeps hanging.

Each time I submit an error report to Microsoft and get the recommendation screen to check for Virus and Spyware.

I have run Spybot, Sophos A/V and Kaspersky online, with nothing untoward showing.

The machine is fully patched as far as I know, but seems to hang more often when trying to do a Windows update. Some websites never appear to hang. Other applications appear to work OK. I have tried reinstalling Internet Explorer

Anyone any ideas why this could be happening?

Similar Topics: Internet Explorer keeps hanging     x

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,072 posts
Use this link and click on Reset TCP/IP.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to The Skeptic...the link you posted is a ad page..check the link and repost the right link...

to Daz3210 try firefox...I bet you won't go back to IE if you use it for a week or so...get it here...when installing it ..it will ask if you want to import your favorites from ie..

Edited by happyrck, 03 May 2008 - 07:39 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,072 posts
That's unbelievable, but you are right, happyrck. There must be something wrong with the site at the moment. I use it quite often and never had any problem.

To daz3210: please use the following link to Microsoft's instructions.

EDIT: On the previous link that I gave you can download tcp/ip repair tool. the link is just below the box with the buttons on the right hand side of the page.

Edited by The Skeptic, 03 May 2008 - 08:46 AM.

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I tried the Microsoft link without success.

With the XP Smoker link I keep getting a dial up connection biox, which is wanting to connect to an intranet (used to have a VPN link to work, but don't use it now, I think its that)

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
OK, let me update that.

I manually time the XP Smoker web url and I managed to load the site. I have used the reset utility, and seem to have more success.

There is however a UPNP Gateway device in my network places now, what does that do?

And what causes this error to occur?

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just tried to use Internet Explorer, and still the same problem.

I have got Firefox, but don't particularly like it at this point in time, plus Windows Update seems to want to use Explorer

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 5,840 posts
Are you using IE6 or IE7?

For IE6: http://www.theelderg.../repair_ie6.htm
For IE7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

See if either helps.

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip