Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New custommade PC freezes

• Please log in to reply

gagd

gagd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
030520080680.JPG I recently bought a custommade pc on the internet, and i received it by mail today. I plugged everything in and it was fine, i installed crysis and it ran smoothly. I then left my computer to do some business for a few hours. In the meanwhile my bro had turned off the computer on the front switch (don't ask me why). I come back and boot the computer, and it gets stuck at the POST. I went in to the BIOS setup and installed the latest firmware but it didn't work. I can't enter safe mode either cause the comp freezes before the boot options appear. I have attached a photo of the point where it freezes. I desperately need help.
Here r the specs for my comp:
-Asus M3A AMD 770
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz
-Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 4GB
-Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 320 GB
-Gainward GeForce 9600GT 512 MB
-Samsung DVD-burner
-Windows Vista home premium 32 bit

Edited by gagd, 03 May 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter (please note the space in the command). Let the process run to the end.

gagd

gagd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried that too, but it won't read any cds. The freeze occurs right before it would normally read the cd. Only thing i can do atm is go into BIOS setup.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

gagd

gagd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work. Taking out the battery and resetting BIOS didn't change anything. I'm still trying to find the source of this problem. Do you have any ideas about what could be?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Double check all your cable and component connections including RAM modules and video card. Disconnect and then reconnect.

Disconnect USB storage devices. Disconnect everything except for keyboard, mouse and monitor. Reboot.

Edited by The Skeptic, 04 May 2008 - 10:52 AM.

gagd

gagd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Didn't work either. I give up! the machine will be send back to the workshop on monday. Thanks for the help though i appreciate it :)