Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'check for consistency' hangs up

• Please log in to reply

jefffox

jefffox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
during boot up, my laptop flashed a screen reading (something like) "checking file system on c:
type of file NTFS
and then gave me 9 seconds to allow or not...had no clue so i let it...WOW
it started checking and quickly showed a full screen of lines reading "inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 31752" with the last line just blinking...forever. i finally shut down by holding the power button. when i restarted, at the option to not check for consistancy, i said no. When desktop opened, i was flooded with alerts that many files were corrupt and unreadable...i would guess at least 50. i ran Eusing registry cleaner and after that i was left with only 2 alerts...one related to a fonts tff file,(c:\windows\fonts\margett.tff) is corrupt and unreadable, and the infamous c:\$extend\$ObjId is corrupt and unreadable.
in google, this seems to happening a lot. i hadn't used my computer in quite a while, so last week i updated all of my security programs...didnt seem to cause any probs at the time.
any advice would, of course, be appreciated.
jeff

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi jefffox, welcome to G2G.

Sounds like you have a hard drive problem or a corrupted NTFS file system.

You can try System File Checker.

To use System File Checker, you need a XP CD at the same service pack level as the XP installed on your hard drive or you need the I386 directory tree from a XP CD on you hard drive.

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click GO.