Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A Disk Read Error had Occurred

• Please log in to reply

adambomb

adambomb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone I just registered to this site and this is my first topic.

First I'll explain some of the recent history of the comp in quiestion (stepdad's frankenstein comp), a few weeks ago he had some kind of error with windows and the mom and pop store that had built the comp for him didn't give him the reinstall disk....So once this error with his window's operating system had occurred he went and bought a new copy of the windows XP service pack 2. Now he installed that apparently and im not fully up to date on any options he had used in that process. Now is when I have to step in and begin doing work on his comp. after re-installing the new copy of windows XP the drivers for his sound card and video card were nowhere to be found....after much research and some help from the hackers section of yahoo chat rooms I found where to look and how to find the drivers installed them and it all appeared to be just fine from then on. Now about 3 weeks later his comp has screwed up again and I believe its more than i can handle alone. according to what he has told me of when the error originally occurred, a error window poped up on him late as he was going to bed said something along the lines of Win32 has come across an error please re-install windows to repair (not sure exactly what it said but something along those lines) he shut down the computer. the next morning he turned it back on and it started up and went through the system start up to the last part of the black screen and stops says "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred-Press Alt+Ctrl+Delete to restart. now from this point i haven't been able to get anything else done I have no idea what to do and can't get the computer to respond in any way other that to go to the BIOS screen. I can access most information on hardware for the comp if any of that info will help just ask i will repost it as soon as i know what you need.

I appreciate any help on this issue and the quick resolution there of!!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely the hard drive has bad sectors in critical areas needed by windows to boot. The other alternative here is viruses or spyware causing problems. I really think a new hard drive will be needed for the computer. Then you can install XP the correct way and know its good.

SRX660

adambomb

adambomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
By bad sectors what exatly do you mean. also I have access to another Hard Drive in another comp could I put that hard drive in his comp and see if that is actually the issue.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot im learning all the time and know abit about this stuff but im still new to hardware issues and lingo. Im mostly software and even there im lacking. thanks for the quick response at any rate.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Yes, replacing the current hard drive with a different one, then doing a clean install (format the drive during the install process) will definitely finger the hard drive (or not).

Does the hard drive show up in BIOS Setup? If not then there is not a lot you can do. If BIOS doesn't see it then XP can't see it.

If BIOS does see it, then you could go to the web site of the hard drive manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. It should be available as a bootable CD iso image.

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed. For large drives, this can take 1 or more hours so be patient.

adambomb

adambomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I also forgot to mention that the only option that alows for any interaction with the comp (besides the BIOS mode) is that when its booting up i can press ALT+F2 and it will go to a section that allows for me to type in a command for access to the A:/ so is there any possible solutions from floppy disd read I had read something about this being done for this simular problem something about getting the boot information from windows 98 but im not sure about any details of this any informations to clarify this would be greatly appreciated

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You didn't answer my question, Does the hard drive show up in BIOS Setup?

adambomb

adambomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im sorry about that....well now the situation has changed a bit my stepdad got so frustrated about this he went and bought a new HP for 650 bucks and gave me his frankenstein now i have the tower and forgot cables for it so wont have them till thursday but i also have no screen im useing my laptop so i can't check any of this out until at least thursday maybe later so ill be checking back as soon as i can get some information from the thing

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
No problem, post back when your ready.