Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

i recently upgraded and now my PC randomly goes off!

• Please log in to reply

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:(hey guys... i REALLY need some help... i recently upgraded my PC to a dual-core AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor with an ASUS M2N-MX mobo and 2GB of RAM... now my PC just randomly switches off... most often when i'm playing a game... i also have an nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card... PLZ help me...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How big is the power supply (number of watts, not physical dimensions :))

SenShiS

SenShiS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
it's either your power supply or overheating...
any specs on that?

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
my power supply is only a 300W so i really think thats the problem Neil. But SenShiS it can't be over heating because it got fresh thermal paste before i installed the CPU and all my fans are clean and running optimumly

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello.. Since you mentioned your power supply is just 300watt, and you use Athlon X2 with Nvidia 6800 vga card, I doubt your power supply have enough juice to feed your system..

My suggestion is to borrow someone's else power supply with 450watt or above power rating and observe your pc behaviour.. But I STRONGLY suggest you get a better power supply as soon as possible. An under-powered system can damage your computer component..

Regards
fenzodahl512

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A powering off system under load is a classic sign of an under-resourced power supply. It may be fine just sitting there showing you your Microsoft Word and what not, but give it something heavy to do like World of Warcraft and you soon run out of juice.

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

5HoR7Yn0L3Gz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanx alot for all the help guys i appreciate it