Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsoft installing problems

• Please log in to reply

Koolio_PC

Koolio_PC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forums and just got my computer back up and running after a horrible crash. After updating my Bios and installing windows and all the good stuff, i'm having trouble installing some things, and to my best conclusion it's mostly Microsoft programs, i.e Microsoft Exlorer 7 (from the windows update), and Windows Media Player 11.

If anyone has any solution of help to my issue i would be greatly appreciative to it. I do mostly hardware so when a software problem goes wild im almost helpless!

Thanks in advance,

KPC

EDIT: Since the post i've been noticing having problems installing more than just microsoft programs, some other programs i have are giving me errors or making my computer restart for no reason also, i have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Koolio_PC, 03 May 2008 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Windows Installer 3.1

Description
The Microsoft Windows Installer is an 'application installation and configuration service'. This means that it is used for installing programs on your computer. Some software requires this latest download before you can install it. In effect, this becomes a two step process. First you download the Windows Installer and run it (restart your computer). Then run your software's installation program (yes, there is some degree of Microsoft kookiness that requires you to install an installation program before you can install the program you actually want).

Koolio_PC

Koolio_PC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, i will try this. I got the same error after having to get a whole new mobo. :) thanks!

EDIT: Well i installed it and still can't install WMP 11, weird it seems it's one of the only ones i have problems with. I've installed the ones i had trouble with before i got this new mobo..

Edited by Koolio_PC, 06 May 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Post the last 50 lines or so of C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

You may have to show hidden files to see it:

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)