Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems in updating windows defender through microsoft update

• Please log in to reply

biren

biren

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i have recently installed windows defender.
2 days back, the automatic update feature informed me of the following update:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.31.9351.0)

so i okayed it for download and installation.
after about 2-3 hours i got another notification. without checking, i okayed that too.

when this happened the third time, i got suspicious - never before had i received update notifications more than once a day. three was definitely too much.
so i looked and it seemed the same update. surprised, i okayed it.

then, i got a fourth notification - of the same.
so i went to the microsoft update site and had it check my comp for the high priority/express updates i required.

sure enough, the above defender definition update was sitting there.
so i downloaded it from there, and okayed the install.

after a while i went back and checked, the update was sitting in the recommended update list. but this time it showed downloaded but not installed - even though i had installed it. (and rebooted as required)

so i clicked the install now. then went and looked into the history of my updates. the same update did show up as downloaded 5 times.

where did all those updated files go?
why was my computer/update machine not able to see/find the updated files?

any conk on my head to help me see something that i am missing.. 'duh'..

thanks friend/s
regards
biren shah

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Wecome to Geeks2Go

Sometimes complete removal/uninstall, followed by an install of the latest version from the MS website will fix your problem.
Uninstall Defender completely then grab a new copy from here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en