Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removeing Vista and Adding XP

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK I went and got all the drivers (which was like pulling teeth with HP!), I bought a copy of XP Pro (brand new!)

Now when I place the XP CD into the drive, I does not do the normal stuff! When it would normally show me the list of partitions on the drive, it doesnt even show ANY drive there.

Ok So I started it again and this time pressed F6 (cause I read that SOMEWHERE???) and alas, again it comes back and says it cant find anything and trys to get me to install drivers from a floopy (which I dont have on the laptop!)

Oh yea and a few times it gave me the blue screen of death with a stop code telling me theres bad ram?? WEIRD cause the ram hasnt changed from when I bought the computer.

SO any ideas folks?

Also I dont have the ability to burn a copy of XP Pro, at least I dont think I do... lol

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
RAM can become "bad" even though it was okay when bought.

Why would you want to make a copy of an OS you already have the genuine CD for, other than as a backup?

You may need to wipe the disk of all it's current contents in order to run XP Pro setup, because you are "downgrading" from a later version
and Windows Setup doesn't allow that. By wiping the disk, XP Pro setup will then not detect your current OS so the "downgrading" problem is eliminated.

Edited by pip22, 04 May 2008 - 03:07 AM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
the ram problem went away, which is weird. but anyway, its not even noticeing a HD in the laptop.... I talked to HP and he gave me the sata drivers for my laptop chipset, so I will try that, but I have to go buy an external USB floppy first.... [bleep] it!