Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 Color Only / No 256

• Please log in to reply

mrjin

mrjin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help. I can't find the driver on HP site. It's an HP Pavilion 6350. Thats the only numbers. If you can find it I'd appreciate it. I've been looking with no luck. Windows installs a standard PCI graphics adapter VGA. I thought that I saw that the adapter is an Asus. I tried the Asus driver on windows and it was no good. Screen went vertical lines. I fixed that in safe mode. Thanks again

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
here is the driver that I found for your hp 6350 Click here when you reply to a post on the same problem that we are working on please us the add reply on that post.
Thank you <_<

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello and thanks again. I installed the driver and the 256 option is there. When I pick it and restart the computer, there is a fatal error and I must start in safe mode. Then when I restart it is set again at 16 color. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!!! This is my only computer and it's driving me crazy !!!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you know if the video card in this computer has ever been replaced? You can run AIDA32 to identify you video card.

Did you install and software/hardware, or make any changes to your computer before this began?

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The only thing we did was take off win 2000 and add Win 98 because of virus. Video worked fine before that. I ran Aida and it says its SIS integrated video. The driver that you recommended should be right . The video card has never been touched. I think it is built in. Again, I really appreciate all of your help. You do this for free ? Wow ! Thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you reformat before installing Windows 98? If not, you could still have a virus problem.

Or, it could be a video driver issue. Try running Driver Cleaner to remove all old video drivers, and then reinstall the driver listed above.

Yes, we do this for free! If you want to help support the site, consider a donation, or support our advertisers. <_<

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I found this website. Could this be the problem ?http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/mobile/16colors.htm My computer is not a notebook but it seems to be the same problem. I don't know what chip drivers are. I ran that program that you told me. I'm still experimenting with it but it doesn't look promising.

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it was formatted

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
When you formatted did you do just a format off the 98 cd or did you do a lowlevel format I have found some times that if you do a format off a OS cd sometimes the virus will not get removed. when you do a lowlevel format it changes the hard drive to all O's that makes it like a new hard drive. If you would like to do this if you can tell what make your harddrive is we can get a lowlevel formatter for you to download. or you can try one of the online virus scan in this post CLICK HERE.
<_<

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My brother in law actually formatted it. I don't know exactly what he did. Either way, the virus did not affect the display before . I will check the hard drive brand and post it here in a while. One more thing. The error that I'm getting is " Fatal Exception OD has occurred at 032F:00005603 ". I should have posted that before but my brain must not be working very good. I've searched everywhere that I can think of to find a fix for that error with no luck. Maybe you know where to look. Thanks again.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try starting your computer in safe mode. Then use the default VGA driver, to see if you can select 256 color.

I'm starting to suspect it's a hardware problem. You say you installed Win98 because of a virus. Did you identify a virus, or is that a guess becasue of the symptoms?

Start by checking your memory. memtest86 is a very good memory checking program that can be run from a bootable floppy (and it's free).

mrjin

mrjin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, you can't choose 256 on safe mode. I don't understand the memtest program . Also, someone asked me for the hard drive brand to get a format program . I can't even get to the hard drive on this crazy machine !! It is behind a metal plate that I cannot remove even though I have taken every screw out that I can see !! I thank you for all of your help but I guess I'll just have to live with 16 color. I have looked everywhere on the internet for the exact fatal exception with no luck. I don't know why it would be a hardware problem since it worked fine before we put on Win 98 but I guess it could be. Thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't supppose you have the restore CD that came with this computer? I think at this point your best bet is to fdisk and reformat your hard drive, and reinstall Windows again. Sorry, but you just can't use a computer with 16 colors! :D

If you don't have a boot disk, you can download one from bootdisk.com. Download the file, and run it to copy the files to a blank floppy. Insert this floppy and reboot your computer. At the command prompt (A:\) type "fdisk" (without the quotes). Clcik here for a guide on using fdisk.

When finished, reboot with the bootdisk and type "format C:" at the command prompt. When formating is completed, insert your Windows CD and type "setup" at the command prompt. You can do it! <_<