Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Skipping around while typing...Keyboard issue?

• Please log in to reply

dhearon

dhearon

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi- Just bought an Acer Laptop with Windows Vista....only problem is when typing, the cursor often skips back a few words/sentences without any prompting, so I'll be typing away, and suddenly realize I'm typing further up in my original paragraph, or even up in the subject line.

Typing this sentence took a while as it happens quite frequently. I returned the computer, and got a new one, and low and behold.....same problem. I'm wondering if it's Vista, rather than the Acer Keyboard (part of the laptop). I surf with IE. Not sure if the problem exists in word processing yet...haven't tried.

Any experience with this? Keyboard problem, or Vista issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

gagd

gagd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've experienced it too on my laptop, and I found the source of the problem. I accidentally touch the touchpad while typing, causing the cursor to move and click. Other than that I have no idea what could be wrong.

laka

laka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had the same problem with my Acer laptop keyboard. In searching online, I found both the cause and the answer.

The problem is the touchpad is so sensitive that the typing of the keys makes it think you're tapping the pad (hence why things get highlighted, lines get jumped, etc.) Personally I feel this is a design flaw since I also have a Dell laptop and have not had the same problem.

The solution is to go into the Control Panel --> Mouse Properties --> and choose the Tapping tab. Check the box that says "Tap Off When Typing". Keep in mind you'll have to do this for each useraccount you have. There's also a free download off Google at http://code.google.c.../downloads/list but I haven't tried that out yet.

Hope this helps! :)

Computer Deb

Computer Deb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought my second ACER laptop and had the exact same problem. It is driving me crazy because I tend to type fast! A couple of times, this problem actually deleted everything that I had just typed. My other ACER does not do that.

I tried the adjustment on the control panel and we'll see how that works.

My other thought is that I have 4 gig RAM with a fast CPU, maybe they're working faster than my hands?!

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi and welcome to the site!

My other thought is that I have 4 gig RAM with a fast CPU, maybe they're working faster than my hands?!

It has nothing to do with that. :)

Vimpy Bakshi

Vimpy Bakshi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
its becasue of touchpad only..try typing without touching touchpad and you will notice that words donn skip..the solution is to download a software called " touch freeze "..this will freeze the touchpad while typing and words wonn skip to other lines..the software is a freeware and is easily available

Happy Typing

Rgds,

Vimpy Bakshi

cantusana

cantusana

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Fn + F7 on Extensa keyboard switches off the touchpad and you can type without jumping. Pain keep switching back on but then lifes a [bleep]....!!! Any thoughts on how I managed to switch my question mark off when using Hotmail emails.....

vermilionskye

vermilionskye

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have to say thanks to everyone who posted this. Sorry for bumping after such a long time. I've always had tapping on, but never had a problem with the skipping around and jumping throughut paragraphs, closing windows while typing, until recently.

I just love this site and can never say enough good things about it. Thanks, everyone! :) :) :) I'm such a dork. Merry Christmas, everyone!

WhyMe69

WhyMe69

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is my 3rd computer within a year because I can barely type an email. I am so frustrated thinking it is my computer guy, because these Toshiba laptops get viruses, they go into the shop and they all come back unable to type again. I have gone into my control panel and there is no tapping button to help me fix this situation. We have decided to buy an apple, because 3 PCs is the price of 1 Macintosh. Plus, apples don't usually get viruses and it'll save on the computer guy's costs for repairs that can not be fixed in the first place. And by the way, my hands are no where never the keypad too.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I am so frustrated thinking it is my computer guy, because these Toshiba laptops get viruses, they go into the shop and they all come back unable to type again. We have decided to buy an apple, because 3 PCs is the price of 1 Macintosh.

Hi there WhyMe69 and a warm welcome at GeeksToGo!tm

Protection is vital with pc's :unsure:
But apple is getting more problems as well, daily....

If you suspect you have malware infections, the people here at GeeksToGo!tm are more then willing to help you!
Just read this Topic from Mr. admin, and after reading & following up on the simple instructions, press the Posted Image button over there...

Good luck :)

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 13 August 2011 - 09:22 AM.

Advertisements

WhyMe69

WhyMe69

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone know how to fix the skipping around while typing? I am ready to throw my 3rd laptop in the trash. I was told my computer guy that the problem is hardware and I need new computer (4th within a year). What the...? Can I buy a Japanese computer, because like cars, they last longer and are probably a better quantity than anything made here in America? I am going back to a desktop & continue to believe that I have bad laptop karma & just be jealous of everyone else that has a working laptop. Back to the Dark Ages!

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I'd rather spend money then fix my problem...???

Dude... I just gave you advice to fix that laptop... :)

WhyMe69

WhyMe69

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I'd rather spend money then fix my problem...???

Dude... I just gave you advice to fix that laptop... :)

I never said that I would rather spend the money than fix the problem...My statement:

"This topic is locked - Can not do anything with this link, sorry."

I downloaded : http://adlsoft.net/p...FQ6AgwodzX7Qzw#

This program was a huge mistake to download and won't let me change my homepage on the internet to anything other than startnow, which is Bing. It will not allow me to open the browser with anything else but Bing.

Did not fix the problem...still skipping around.

Edited by WhyMe69, 13 August 2011 - 01:43 PM.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
OK man... I'll give it another try... Here's my best shot:

You... ARE... INFECTED... WITH... MALWARE...!!!! :yes:

We cannot help you fix a mere keyboard issue while you, me and everyone else that reads this...,
KNOWS you are infected with malicious software, also known as malware... :)

You need to adress this issue properly, and you are in the -HARDWARE- forum right now, and not in the -MALWARE- forum...
Are we still on the same page ??? Posted Image

Please pay attention now:
Read this Topic by Mr. admin....
Read it carefully, it's the introduction to the -MALWARE- forum, we call an "anouncement..."

After you downloaded OTL and ran the scan, in the exact way the link above described.... (It's worth reading believe me)..

Press the Posted Image button in the -MALWARE- forum, or even in the topic-link I gave you twice now, (the button is in the top right corner, next to the "this topic is closed" button Posted Image...) and you will be forwarded to the right forum, that is filled with trained & experienced GeeksToGo!tm Staff Members who will help you out...

I understand you get frustrated from malware, but I hope you understand me now... I sincerely do, as your computer is being wrecked by evil malware and our whole point of existence is helping you and your unfortunate brothers and sisters with these issues.... Completely free of charge that is.....

Again, Good luck :) at the -MALWARE- forum...

Kind Regards, Amst3rDamag3

Note: when they help you disinfect your computer, they will help you fix the keyboard issue, with the cleanup after infection process and even with a prevent you from getting infected in the future process... You're in safe hands, but you really need to visit the right department.... :unsure:

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 13 August 2011 - 03:00 PM.

WhyMe69

WhyMe69

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a freaking bunch! What the... Dude?