Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Youtube not playing smoothly

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Compaq Presario 5000, Model 5BW220, Made 7/19/00, Windows XP Pro, 15 Gig master drive, 37 Gig slave drive, 512 MB RAM, 631 MHz Intel Celeron processor, Compaq 06C0 motherboard

Youtube videos have never played anything close to smooth on my computer. Is this because my configuration is too small or because my connection may be too slow or what? How do I check my connection speed? I use SBC DSL. Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The speed of the internet connection is a potential factor, but if you're only running a Celeron 633, it's most likely unable to keep up with the demands of YouTube these days. If this has been the case all along, I would suggest the computer's too slow.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Do you have anything else running while you're watching youtube? Although your processor is slow, it might be possible you need more RAM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The OP has 512Mb of RAM, which is more than enough. Even graphics cards that are many years old are capable of doing YouTube if they're paired up with a fast enough processor. A 633 processor isn't going to be able to keep up, unfortunately.