Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MoBo

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
HI,
I'm looking at another MoBo.Instead of the Asus P5N-D 2 Way SLI board I am now leaning toward the EVGA 750i FTW Board. I was told it is a lot better board. It also is almost a $100.00 more. Does any one out there have one of these boards and can comment on either or both.

Thank You

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
While I do not have the 750i FTW board, it's a excellent board and makes me question why people even bother spending any more money on the 780i, unless they wanted tri-SLI.
Where are you purchasing these boards? There is just under a 50$ difference between the two boards on NCIX and I'm sure you could price match them for even cheaper.
Do you intend on running SLI? If not, I don't recommend either one of these boards. If you do intent on running SLI, there I strongly suggest you buy the EVGA motherboard simply because you are not limited to 16x/8x SLI.
James

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

While I do not have the 750i FTW board, it's a excellent board and makes me question why people even bother spending any more money on the 780i, unless they wanted tri-SLI.
Where are you purchasing these boards? There is just under a 50$ difference between the two boards on NCIX and I'm sure you could price match them for even cheaper.
Do you intend on running SLI? If not, I don't recommend either one of these boards. If you do intent on running SLI, there I strongly suggest you buy the EVGA motherboard simply because you are not limited to 16x/8x SLI.
James

Hi James, I priced the 750i at Tiger Direct ($243.99). I like Canada Computers better, as they have a lot more instore stock. I didn't see it on their web site. I do not know about NCIX. Are they good to deal with? AS for running SLI I was, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. I'm not a online gamer, but I would like to be able to run a high end game on high settings. What do you suggest if I didn't go SLI? Below is what I was thinking of building.

EVGA 750i FTW MoBo
PSU...PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black Version)
Two...BFG 8800 GT 512MB Or BFG 8800 GTS
Q6600 CPU or the Q6700 or even the new 45nm Q9300...(Maybe hard to overclock if I chose to)
Thermalright Ultra 120 cooler
2 GB of DDR2 1066 Ram Timings 5-5-5-15 ...(Brand ?)

I have never overclocked, but it cannot be hard as everyone seems to do it. Maybe I'll try.

Edit: I was just on the NCIX site. Same 750i board is only $189.99 after $20 rebate.

Thanks

Edited by Bushisland, 05 May 2008 - 05:45 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you live outside BC, you won't pay PST on your order, which is why I like ordering from NCIX, in addition, they will price match all canadian competitors.
NCIX is good to deal with, the first order you make usually takes a bit longer to process due to fraud checking. I've spent at least $4000 there within the past year over the course of at least 8 orders, I have not had any issues yet aside from boxing day, but that is to be expected at that time of the year.

If you order through NCIX, PM this price. The price match button will be in your cart.
http://www.directcan...anufacture=EVGA

Unless you are gaming on a 24" or greater monitor the gains are very small in terms of FPS. Considering this is your first time overclocking, I suggest the GA-P35-DS3L if you don't want to run SLI.

If you are getting a quad, I personally suggest the Q6700, I'm thinking about getting one myself.
As far as memory goes, I suggest Mushkin. There is an active Rep on the NCIX forums if you encounter any issues, also the voltages are much lower for the majority of Mushkin RAM, so your RAM runs cooler. It also overclocks great.

Lastly, I suggest XFX over BFG due to XFX's superior warranty. If you order through NCIX, be sure to price match everything to get the best price possible.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 May 2008 - 11:23 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

If you live outside BC, you won't pay PST on your order, which is why I like ordering from NCIX, in addition, they will price match all canadian competitors.
NCIX is good to deal with, the first order you make usually takes a bit longer to process due to fraud checking. I've spent at least $4000 there within the past year over the course of at least 8 orders, I have not had any issues yet aside from boxing day, but that is to be expected at that time of the year.

If you order through NCIX, PM this price. The price match button will be in your cart.
http://www.directcan...anufacture=EVGA

Unless you are gaming on a 24" or greater monitor the gains are very small in terms of FPS. Considering this is your first time overclocking, I suggest the GA-P35-DS3L if you don't want to run SLI.

If you are getting a quad, I personally suggest the Q6700, I'm thinking about getting one myself.
As far as memory goes, I suggest Mushkin. There is an active Rep on the NCIX forums if you encounter any issues, also the voltages are much lower for the majority of Mushkin RAM, so your RAM runs cooler. It also overclocks great.

Lastly, I suggest XFX over BFG due to XFX's superior warranty. If you order through NCIX, be sure to price match everything to get the best price possible.
James

Hi James, I'm going to get the Q6700. The Mushkin is a good pick (Suggested Timings OK?). That GA-P35 MoBo Doesn't support X16 Express 2.0. Most high end V Cards do. Is there much different? It's also a low price; but that doesn't always mean low quality. IF I go the single V Card Route it will be either the 8800 GTX or even the new 9800x2 GTS if its better? My LCD is a Acer 22" wide screen, OS is Vista Home Prem. I really have to make up my mind on which to go; single or SLI.???

Sorry for all the questions, and Thank You for all the help you are giving me.

bushisland

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
On a 22" monitor I suggest you go with a single card setup. Don't purchase the 8800GTX as it's overpriced and older technology, I suggest the 9800GTX or 8800GTS 512mb.

That GA-P35 MoBo Doesn't support X16 Express 2.0. Most high end V Cards do. Is there much different?

There is a difference, but you won't notice the difference on current cards and you likely will not notice the difference for another 2 years.

Sorry for all the questions, and Thank You for all the help you are giving me.

No need to be sorry, this is why I'm here :)
James