Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my computer runs incredibly slow.

• Please log in to reply

dlister

dlister

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer is a dell inspiron 8600 and I got it in December 2004. I am hoping to get one more year out of this computer before I get a new one. It runs on XP and has been running so slowly. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes to do anything as it sits and the CPU runs. Is there anything, please god, anything I can do? This is very frustrating. Thank you!
Andrew

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Andrew, I'm Cameron :)

Could you go into detail, besides the fact that it takes 15 minutes to do anything; is it slow during the startup? Just slow when opening applications? Do you get pop-ups? Weird error messages on your system? Things trying to get you to buy things on your PC?

Just go into more detail about whats happening and we can narrow it down.

Edited by CamTheMan, 04 May 2008 - 10:52 AM.

dlister

dlister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, it's not anything malware. I have very up to date anti virius. I don't get any pop ups or weird error messages. This computer has been infected with malware before, which you guys helped me fix two years ago now. The slowness is pretty constant. It's pretty much at any time using the computer, start up, loading programs pretty much anything. When I would load video on iTunes it would say that my virtual memory was too full and sound would not play, that seems to have ended, but it now just running so slow.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to this site and run a pcpitstop test

http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

post your results here
you may have too much at startup

try autoruns

http://www.filehippo...nload_autoruns/

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Andrew below I'll go through a couple very useful things you can do to keep the speed up on your PC.

We will be running a couple of my favorite utilities that I use to maintain my system.

First, let's use ATF-Cleaner click here to download it. Save it to your desktop so it's easy to get to.

Double click or open ATF-Cleaner once you open it you'll see:
Posted Image
Click "Select All" then click Empty Selected.

Now we can focus on your startup. Download CCleaner click here to download the slim version (no toolbar included). Run/Open the installer and once you finish the installation go ahead and open it again.

When CCleaner is open you'll see:
Posted Image

Please note: I am not recommending you to use the Registry cleaner tool in CCleaner if you decide to use it backup your registry before doing so. (it will ask you if you want to back it up when running the reg tool)

Click "Analyze", once it's done Analyzing click "Run Cleaner".

Now click the tab "Tools" then click on "startup" this will list programs starting up with your PC. You can click on a entry and then click Delete Entry. If you are unsure on something please post as much detail as you can about that entry. We can give you the ya or na.

Final things,

1.Run a Disk Cleaner
2.Run Disk Dementfragor
3.Uninstall Unneeded Programs

1. Go to start>All Programs>System Tools>Disk Cleanup. Give it a moment to gather it's information. Once it's up select all entries and click ok at the bottom.

2.Click start -> All Programs -->System Tools--->Disk Defrag select your main drive (the one that has the highest space) and click Analyze then Defrag.

3.Go into the Control Panel then click Remove/Uninstall Programs, select applications that you are sure you do not need or use. If you are unsure please post it's name and I can help you with it.

Please post the results and let me know how it works for you, good luck and I'll wait for your reply. Again if you decide to use the Registry cleaner tool in CCleaner be sure to backup your registry.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It is a waste having a user run CCleaner after ATF Cleaner

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Andrew regardless please try it.

Rorschach112, run CCleaner after analyzing it will tell you how much it is removing. Thus running ATF-Cleaner it also will tell you how muh it removes. My point is they BOTH remove different amount of waste from the system :)

Sorry for not mentioning this in my first post, but I didn't think I would have to explain it. But you can try it and see but trust me I've done it over 100000000000 times.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dlister...

That the system is abnormally slow and that it shows intensive processor use running normal routines leads me to suspect a transfer mode problem. It may not prove to be the case, but it's worth a look.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

dlister

dlister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok wannabe1 here is what it says for the primary: transfer mode DMA if available, current transfer mode Ultra DMA Mode 5 for device 0. for device 1 it is transfter mode DMA if available and current not applicable
secondary: device 0 transfer mode is the same and it is Ultra DMA Mode 2 and device 1 is the same for the primary.
Also wannabe1 you are in bozeman? I am in missoula.

Hey CamTheMan! I have tried those things and they don't seem to be helping any. Thank you though, I had really hoped.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the Service Tag for your machine? It should be on a sticker...likely on the bottom of the machine. Knowing what HDD you have in the machine will allow us to point you to the diagnostic tool to check it's overall health.

The settings you found for the transfer modes are as they should be.

Yup...I'm in Bozeman. Went through Missoula a couple weeks ago on the way to and from Seattle.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To speed-up your computer please do the following: (For most downloads use links in my signature). Skip steps already performed.

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Go to the "startup" in Selective mode and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: In Add/Remove programs, in Control Panel, uninstall all unnecessary toolbars such as Yahoo, google and others.

3: If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed as a windows update, uninstall it in add/remove programs in control panel. This will roll you back to internet explorer 6.

4: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. In addition to items checked by default please check "Old Prefetch Data". Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

5: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use the link in my signature to the malware forum and follow all the preliminary steps. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

6: Run disk defragmantation. For this operation I use and recommend Auslogic Disk Defrag. Alternatively you can run Microsoft's defragmenter.

7: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags registry and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

8: Download HD Tune and under Benchmarking run a complete performance test. Please report Average data transfer for the entire test.

9: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

10: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: and then Properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

ccleaner gets the index.dat files that on a computer thats been surfing the net for years will have a huge file...quarter of a gigabyte in some cases...ATF misses these