Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Mail could not be started

• Please log in to reply

Gemius

Gemius

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've had no problems with windows mail before but now whenever I try to open it a second time I get the following message.

'Windows Mail could not be Started because another Instance of it is still running on your computer. Please log off of Windows, and then restart Windows Mail. If this Continues then Restart your Computer.'

I do this and it opens up the first time but but when I try again it fails to open and I get the same message.

Help appreciated please.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The problem is caused when Windows Mail does not close down fully even though you've closed it. This means it's still running even though it's not actually open -- and you can't have two instances of it running at the same time.

Two possible causes for this:

1. The "search indexer" may be preventing Windows Mail from closing properly. Easiest fix in that case is to turn it off:

The proper way to turn off SearchIndexer is:

* Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
* Right-click on Windows Search and disable it.

2. If the above doesn't fix it, your antivirus email scanning component may be preventing Windows Mail from closing properly, in which case you need to disable that particular component. You can still scan email attachments on demand yourself once you've saved them as a file on your PC.

Edited by pip22, 05 May 2008 - 03:57 AM.

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you for the reply but I've been unable to fix the problem.
I turned the Windows Live OneCare virus scanner off but it made no difference. I also tried to disable the Search Indexer but when I right click on it I get the properties dialog box and cannot find an option to disable/turn it off.

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
This same problem is cropping up everywhere at the moment. Does anyone know what Microsoft say about it?