Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replace windows?

• Please log in to reply

mawmaw

mawmaw

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Let me start back to when I started noticing problems. I started getting a virtual memory low message. I didn't know what this meant so i researched it but I don't get computers or the language. So I removed some programs I wasn't using and it seemed ok till my norton expired. Since I have cable internet and children (21&24) I got norton 360 thinking I'll cover all bases. It installed ok and after a few weeks froze while scanning for viruses. We left the comp on at all times and it would just freeze. Everytime we wanted to use it we'd have to restart. Then it would freeze as soon as restarted. By this time we figured we needed to shut it off after each session. During this time we tried to get help with norton tech. After 4 techs and 4 reinstalls they gave up trying to get it to stop freezing. One day don't know how it happened we were able to use system restore. I'd tried it before but it told me nothing had changed. So i went back too far I guess to the first restore point. Now I can't update windows (I don't have permission?) I need sp2 and it won't install. Can't use some programs like adobe accubat reader. It's strange. I can surf the net but some pages come up can't display. or has a little box with an x in it. I don't know what this means. And I'm constantly getting this message symantec service framework encountered a problem and must close. I went to them for a fix and after I clicked nothing. So thats when I went to windows update and tried to download updates and it wouldn't do it. Can't restore again there is nothing there and all I feel I can do is dump and reload. What else can I try? I'm sure I left out something as this has been going on a while, sorry. Thanks for reading. I'm going nuts now.

mawmaw :

Edited by mawmaw, 04 May 2008 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

To use Windows Update (or indeed to install any software) you have to be logged into a user account which has the status of "Computer Administrator", which is always the first user account that was created when Windows was installed. Subsequent user accounts can also have this status if the first user account holder allows it. If you look in Control Panel-->User Accounts it will show you the status of each user account that's been created.

With regard to your choice of security software, I do not recommend any Norton product be used. I see more problems relating to Norton antivirus or Norton Firewall than any other competing product. My ISP supplies Norton Internet Security free of charge for the duration of my membership, yet I choose to use an alternative that I have to pay for. That's how much faith I have in Norton software.

Edited by pip22, 05 May 2008 - 04:16 AM.