Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my own disk read error press ctrl del alt to start

• Please log in to reply

Femo

Femo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was just going thru the topics and have seen several people with this case that i have. I had a system that I have been using. One morning it just packed up and gave me the disk read error. I tried just about everyting i know including flashing the bios but the system wont answer. I used that hard disk on another computer and it boots ok. I also used another hardisk on that computer but i dont get the disk read error but the system doesnt boot. It gets past the post, but when it's supposed to start loading the operating system it just hangs there with nothing on the screen.

I've thought about giving it up but thought i'd ask here first. All suggestions will be welcome.

Advertisements

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Do you have your XP disc? Assuming you're using XP. Try doing a recovery install.

Boot using the WinXP cd and use the recovery console (hitting R when it asks). IF and only IF you get the dos based screen AND you get something like:

1. C:\WINDOWS

Please choose which windows you want to use: 1
If you do, then type 1 and hit enter, it will ask for your administrator password, if one is enabled. Then at the command prompt enter: chkdsk /r
The /r switch tells chkdsk to scan the entire drive and recover any bad sectors. Once the check disc completes, reboot the computer and you should not get the error.

Femo

Femo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I forgot to add that the system refused to boot from the cd drive. I tried but it wont boot with the cd, so there was no way for me to run windows recovery console.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I forgot to add that the system refused to boot from the cd drive. I tried but it wont boot with the cd, so there was no way for me to run windows recovery console.

Even on a different computer?

Femo

Femo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Even on a different computer?
[/quote]

On a different computer the hard disk is ok.