Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message

• Please log in to reply

micpizzle

micpizzle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i wanna format my hard drive and reinstall windows but i get this blue screen error message.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What are you doing when you get the message? We definitely need more information than you have provided, to know what is happening.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
is that what happens when you put windows cd in ...you get that error
you could erase your harddrive with boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

copy/burn it to cd
heres a tutorial on boot and nuke
if you decide thats the way you choose to go

http://www.irongeek....to-wipe-a-drive

Edited by Mr Freeze, 04 May 2008 - 04:08 PM.

micpizzle

micpizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ya. i have the original gateway xp cd in when it happens.

Gnimsh

Gnimsh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OK folks, here's the deal. The irql error message he's getting is caused by an incompatibility with the videocard or something (found by extensive googling in channel yesterday) and can be fixed with a BIOS upgrade, but being gateway, this upgrade can only be done from inside windows. Naturally, he can't boot into windows at all. So that's a moot point.

Moving on, he cannot install windows because the installer does not see a hard drive. It cannot see a hard drive because the windows installer has no SATA driver in it. If these companies would actually take the time to think about this, they would create their own custom CDs to save users such a hassle, but no, instead they use disc images to just drop right onto the hard drive and move onto the next one. What's this do? It forces people to stay with one install forever, figure out how to fix it (next to impossible for Joe User) or switch to a more advanced OS which sees the hard drive with no problem (linux).

What he needs is the following. I've attached a zip file of the self extracting executable of the intel hard drive controller matrix, which has the drivers he needs inside of it. I have yet to successfully do this in linux, and although I did it for this machine when I installed XP I have since forgotten the program I used to extract the files from the exe. So I can't do that part.

Once these files are extracted, he must use nLite to create a custom windows install which incorporates these drivers, create the ISO and burn it to CD, and once that is done it should pick up his hard drive no problem.

Attached Files

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
micpizzle,

Do you have a Driver cd?
If you do, boot from it first and format/erase the hard drive.
Follow the instructions from there.

micpizzle

micpizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
nope. only cd i have is the xp cd

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
What is the model of your Gateway Computer.

micpizzle

micpizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
gateway ma7 laptop

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I don't see a 'ma7 laptop' at gateway support.

Find the model of your computer here and download the files and drivers you need.

http://support.gatew...rt/default.asp#

Advertisements

micpizzle

micpizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh its like the mx6214 or something like that i think

Gnimsh

Gnimsh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
cmpm, he gave me the serial number and that's how I found the drivers needed. I also couldn't find MA7, only M...

Btw, the name of the program to extract the drives is called winimage.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Gateway can supply everything you need.
Just put in the number in that box or find the right model.
And you can get everything that is supposed to be in that model.

Since you have the XP cd then the rest should be on Gateway's site to make a boot disk. They are dependable imo.

If the restore system is not built into the hard drive then they will have a driver cd to boot from before you use the xp cd. - That's my experience with Gateway, and I have a few.

micpizzle

micpizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
still didnt work. txtsetup.sfi is missing or corrupt. gnimsh is a great help btw.

Gnimsh

Gnimsh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I googled the text setup issue and found that you can either set up the hard drive on another system with the same OS (not really possible on a laptop I think, at least not easily without another laptop) and another option was to replace the txtsetup.sif file with another so I sent him another copy from my XP CD and that still didn't work, so my next suggestion was to use the nuker program mentioned above and then attempt a reinstall using the custom XP CD that has the SATA driver on it.

Btw, does anyone else feel like companies are making it harder and harder to change the OS your computer comes installed with?