Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with installing cpu heatsink

• Please log in to reply

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK, I have a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (bought oem off of ebay), a q6600 cpu, and a GA-P35-DS3L mobo.
Can't seem to push the heatsink pins through the mobo. Plastic spacers kept spreading on the top side of the mobo. I squeeze them together with a pliers, but still none of them will go all the way through the mobo holes (partially only).
I'm afraid if I push harder I'll break the mobo.
Any hints?
Are there easier heatsinks to install?
I already gave away the stock q6600 heatsink (not bright), were can I buy a another one?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just bought a zerotherm cooler and like it very much. So far i have been able to overclock my Q6600 to 3.0 with no problems at all. The cooler still has not hit its top speed. The loudest part of the computer now is the cheap Ultra power supply.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835887004

Yes, you have to install the heatsink with the Mb out of the case because of the backing plate. It was very easy for me even tho i had to take the Mb back out to install it. The stock Intel Heatsink was so loud i just couldn't stand it. The zerotherm was just a matter of screwing it into place. no fuss at all. I bought it simply becaus i had limited spece to fit a heatsink and this one is actually smaller than the intel one.

While i have had problems with the plastic screws early on, i now just push them down with pretty good force and have no problems with them. They should twist and lock in place pretty easy. Buggered up screws are a real problem. i have had 2 computers come in with that problem.

SRX660

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for your reply.

My mobo has never been in the case, so screwing on a back plate won't be a problem.
Are you saying I can screw the heatsink/fan into place, rather than having to use push pins? That would be a huge bonus.

Another question: I've already applied a thin coat of Arctic Silver 5 on the Q6600 (locked into it's socket). I carefully returned the mobo/CPU into it's electrostatic bag. Will I need to remove the thermal grease and re-apply it, or am I good to go?

Thanks again for your response.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Update:
Just ordered ZEROtherm CF900 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail from New Egg. I hope this one is easier to work with :)