Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shuts self down randomly

• Please log in to reply

embagel

embagel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Not sure why this is happening. For the past 4-5 days my computer has started to shut itself down if left untouched for a short period of time. It restarts automatically okay but I lose everything I had open when it shuts down. This is the message I get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007f
BCP1: 00000008
BCP2: 84E100C0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini050208-03.dmp
C:\Users\embagel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-86330-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\embagel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9990.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft....mp;clcid=0x0409

I had installed a printer and thought that might be the problem so uninstalled printer but that didn't help. I did run through all the steps mentioned to do prior to running a HJT log and had no problems other than tracking cookies. Not sure if I need to run HJT.

Any thoughts on what might be going on, and what I should do to try and fix this problem?

Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
It looks like a hardware problem. Update your drivers. Also, how much ram do you have?

embagel

embagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Jacee,

I have an Acer 9410 Core Duo T2450 @ 2.00 GHz. 1 GB of RAM. 32-bit system, if that's at all important. Can you tell me how to check if I need to update any drivers? Not really sure what a driver is :) Thanks!

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Click on the Control Panel, then click on "Device Manager". You'll see a list with a "+" next to the icons. Check each one to make sure there are no yellow triangles with an exclaimation "!" mark. You may also need more ram, depending on what you're doing and how many programs you have open at the same time.

embagel

embagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Jacee,

Nope, nothing showed up. I haven't added anything new prior to this problem happening over the past week or so. Was working fine before so don't think it is related to RAM. I did go to ACER's support and check driver updates for my computer. There are a bunch of them. Do I need to download all of them? It seems you have to download them one at a time which could take a very long time to go through the list. Any other thoughts on what might be the problem? Thanks.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I would update ...even if only one at a time. You want your computer to be in tip top shape, not producing errors! :)

embagel

embagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Jacee or anyone else that has some suggestions,

I'm still having problems with my computer shutting down after it sits for awhile without my using it. I did update the drivers from the Acer site, as well as I could. Not an easy site to navigate and see what you need to update. I've tried doing some restores back to when I wasn't having these problems but hasn't fixed anything. The BCP2 has changed to 8014D000, everything else on the blue screen report is the same as in my first post. My computer is also running slower, and seems to be getting 'hung up', this wasn't a problem prior to this shutting down issue. I did order more RAM to increase from 1 GB to 2 GB. The temperture seems to run between 50-60C most of the time but does go up to 68-72 once in awhile. It is a 17" laptop so I know they do run warmer. Do coolers help much with temperature control?

Another thing happened this morning. I went to restart after getting the blue screen and I couldn't connect to the internet. Said I only had local access. After much searching to try and figure out the problem I found the following network adaptors:
Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS6.0)

The Realtek was enabled so I disabed it and had internet connection. Is there anything I should do with this or just leave it disabled?

I'm wondering if I should just reinstall VISTA to try and solve the problem. It came with Vista installed so don't think I have a CD to install. Do you think that might solve this very frustrating problem? Or wait and add the RAM and see if that does anything to help?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestons.

embagel

embagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Just an update. The problem I had with my computer shutting itself down every half hour or so when not being used was related to my power settings. I had set it to 'high performance', and set the options so the display never turned off and the computer stayed on all the time. After reading many forums, doing lots and lots of googling, reading about BSOD, doing many restores, etc I found a post on a forum that talked about power settings. I checked mine, reset them so the computer sleeps after an hour, and the display turns off after 30 minutes, and my problem with the computer shutting down has been solved. :) Yeah! Something that others might want to consider if they have similar BSOD problems.