Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seems Like this is a new problem

• Please log in to reply

tota14

tota14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All

I have a problem with my lenovo Laptop.

yesterday it is working just fine and i leave the room for a while and come back and it's switched off.

Switch it back on again and it goes to the desktop, loads a few icons and bits and then dies!

When i say die i mean just that, no shut down, nothing just powers off and everything is off in an instant, no shut down, no low battery warning nothing.

so it is plugged into the wall, and the same thing happens every time whether i start in safe mode or not, being a lenovo i logged into the rescue and recovery tool they have and run trhough some options in that - same thing happens while trying to use that. I can't restore the system as it will not stay on for long enough to complete the restore, i cannot run a virus scan for the same reason, i cannot do anything as it does the same thing regardless, even leaving it on the dos -select safe mode screen - it stays for a few minutes then dies.

NB the battery does not work and has not for some time!

Now that i write this it seems i may have been barking up the wrong tree and i suppose it could be a PSU issue, has anyone come across this type of thing before where it powers up for a short period and dies, is it fixable?

Any help, thoughts or advice would be welcomed before the rest of my hair falls out

E

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This would suggest an issue with either the laptop itself or the power pack. Take the battery out altogether if it doesn't work, it may be contributing.
As to whether its fixable depends on where the fault lies. If its the power pack, universal ones are available. If its the laptop and the power pin, it should be repairable, though it won't be cheap and may be more than the laptop is worth anyway. However if its an issue with the main board in the laptop itself, it'll be a write off in any case.

tota14

tota14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the response, i took the bugger apart, cleaned it, paying particular attention to the fan inlets and 'hey presto' it was fixed, and i didn't have any screws left over :)

Thanks for the help