Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not responding to mouse clicks

• Please log in to reply

Dino M

Dino M

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am asking if anyone has any idea what is going on with my pc, as it seems to be non responsive to my mouse clicks, but only at random times, usually about every 5 minutes. It does not allow me to play any games either, as the mouse seems to have a mind of its own.

The mouse clicks do not seem to be responsive, but the mouse is fully charged, the cursor moves about the screen fine, but at random times, when you click on something it is as if the pc is not responding to the mouse.

I have tried using a wired mouse but it is the same with this, so it is not the hardware side of things.

I thought it might have been a particular program, but it is the whole pc, as when you click on the taskbar it does not change from Firefox to Outlook Express, is it as if the computer does not realise you are clicking the mouse. It is the same at times when trying to click on something in a window.

It does seem that the one thing that makes it responsive again to the clicking of the mouse is CTRL-ALT-DEL and bringing up the task manager.

I have tried shutting it down, running C Cleaner to see if it was something crap that was causing it but it is still the same.

I have tried running AVG as well but that came up clear and was fine.

I have also tried System Restore back to Saturday when it was working fine, but it is still doing the same thing after the pc was restored.

It has only been like it since yesterday, so I have not got a clue what has happened.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

The following is just a starting point for various possible fixes:

Run the System File Checker utility

If you can, go to Start-->Run
Type sfc /scannow

You will be asked to insert your XP CD from which the checker can restore any missing or corrupt system files.

Edited by pip22, 05 May 2008 - 06:17 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Another test would be to boot to Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there or not.

JCA0688

JCA0688

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having this problem as well, has anyone had any luck on resolving this problem? Is it a virus or a problem with the mouse/computer's files?

Also, I have run virus scans NUMEROUS times and have found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Just after posting this message when I turned off my computer, I had this error message with a blue screen.

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Edited by JCA0688, 26 May 2008 - 05:03 PM.

JCA0688

JCA0688

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.. :)

JCA0688

JCA0688

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Any help yet? I also might have some more info, over the past month, I have been getting random msgs on AIM from random names that are not on my list. These names are fake of course, but each time the same msg is sent, it is a different S/N. I have run scans and the whole works, and have found nothing on my computer. Help please.