Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I'm using Windows Xp on a Dell XPS 400. Media Center Edition. Version 2002. Manufactured and supported by: Dell XPS XP051, Pentium[R] D CPU 2.80GHz; 2.79 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Strange that I can hear sound from the CD and the internet but not a sound when email arrives in Outlook express. Nor when I shut down or restart.

Thanks for you attention,

Bob

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Do you have sounds set for those actions? Check Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel. What sound is attached to Exit Windows and Start Windows on the Sounds tab?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
There is no

Exit Windows and Start Windows on the Sounds tab

And I really don't mind hearing no sound when starting or re-starting--it's a little annoying. It's just various sounds I'd like to hear, such as the "plunking" sound when a download from the internet is finished. And most especially the sound of incoming mail. In Outlook Express under Tools>Options>General I do have the "Play sound when new messages arrive" box checked.

While at Control Panel>Sounds>and Audio Devices>Sound Scheme I set it to Windows Default. And don't ask me how, but I did manage to get the sound back for my FTP program, WS_FTP Pro.

And I thank you for that. But it's still strange about email and this and that that I took for granted and now it's gone I do miss it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Once you set the scheme to Windows Default, did you then go through and assign sounds to the various actions?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I did assign sounds to the various actions--one or two of them. But not writing down what I did, I can't report on it.

All I know is that now I have all the sounds as they used to be.

Thank you.