Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS server has bad address

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When I use nslookup to query my yi.org server name, some DNS server somewhere is returning the wrong address so people can't get to my Web server.

I checked at yi.org and the address it has for me is correct.

Is there any way to force a DNS revalidation so what ever DNS server has the bad address will be updated?

I'm behind a router so I can't tell what the DNS server name is.

Edit:
My ISP is Road Runner (cfl.rr.com) is that makes any difference.

I tried powering everything off overnight, about 10 hours, but I got the same IP address back when I turned my broadband router on again.

Would there be any point to my contacting Brighthouse (Road Runner provider here in Central Florida)?

Edited by Ztruker, 06 May 2008 - 12:37 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I belive it takes a few days (up to 3 days) for the DNS to pick it up.
So if you registered this recently then it might just be patience you'll need.
I had this aswell when I registered a domain and hooked it to a free hosting site like: "subdomain.110mb.com"
It took up to 3 days for me to change it.

Regards,
Olrik

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I've been using yi.org for 5+ years and this is the first time I've run into this problem. It's almost like someone is hijacking the my DNS address.

nslookup returns 68.202.112.173 for my xxx.yi.org name, when it should be 64.xxx.xxx.xxx.

When I use nslookup on that IP address, I get

>nslookup 68.202.112.173
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.2.1

Name: 173-112.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com
Address: 68.202.112.173

I'm totally confused.

I think I'm going to try and manually change the IP address at yi.org then run my automated IP detector (Directupdate 4.6.2) and force it to do an update, see if that makes any difference.

This is really ticking me off.

Fortunately, I also use homeip.net for IP forwarding so folks can use that name to get to me.