Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Stalls After Startup

• Please log in to reply

Jozay

Jozay

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello, I'm having a problem with my computer starting up after I log in. After I get past the log-on screen my laptop will more than often stall. It goes quiet with no sound coming from the hard drive or fan. Doesn't seem to have any disk or CPU activity at all. I haven't checked to see how long it lasts but I'd say more than 5 min.

It hasn't done this before but I recently had to restore my computer to the factory settings because of a mistake I had made leaving me with that as my only option to restore it. After the fix I put up all my programs and settings as before and now this happens.

I connect wirelessly to the internet and have a button on my computer to manually enable/disable this function. The problem does not seem to happen when I press it to turn it off right before XP loads/starts-up. Don't know if this is useful.

Any help would be appreciated thanks. = D

Edited by Jozay, 05 May 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It sounds like there may be a problem with the driver for your wireless card.
If I read this correctly, the machine works fine when the wireless is not turned on?
Have you tried to turn the wireless on after the machine is completly booted up?
Please tell me the make, and model of your machine so that I can research this.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes after the pc boots up I can turn on the card and everything works fine.

I have an "Acer Aspire 3004WLMi" and am running "Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP2"

It works if I turn the internet off then wait for to load then turn it on, but it seems too much of a hassle after a while and don't see why I would have to continue doing that over and over if it was working fine before.

Edited by Jozay, 05 May 2008 - 07:14 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are there any yellow or red marks in Device Manager?

Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to view.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well there was nothing there but I went under view and selected show hidden devices and found a yellow mark on "Serial" under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" Any thoughts?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

Who is managing your wireless connection? If it' snot Windows, try setting it to allow Windows to manage it and see if that makes a difference.

Open Network Connections.
Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box.
Click OK.

Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes windows does configure my wireless connection. The checkbox was already selected.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I can't find anything on the Acer web site for the Aspire 3004WLMi. I'm guessing your in the UK as I believe that is a European model, but even there I can find the 3000 and 3010 but no 3004. Do you perhaps have a link to the Acer web site for your specific computer?

If so, try downloading the latest available driver for your wireless chipset. If not, can you tell me what it says under Network Adapters in Device Manager? Perhaps I can find some newer drivers that way.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
No I'm in the US and I took your advise to download the driver but got nowhere... I did downloaded some updates from Microsoft and now have seemed to have not had the problem anymore, well not recently anymore.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok never mind, the problem has come back so I'm still looking for assistance if possible...

Advertisements

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok I checked in with the guys in at the malware section and were able to safely say that it's not due to malware, so it must be something else. I had my computer refurbished via "eRecovery". My computer has an partition in it to allow a recovery without the need for recovery cd's, i have used that only. I still have the cd's and am wondering if I would have better luck with them instead of the partition.

Edited by Jozay, 10 June 2008 - 07:36 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try leaving the wireless card disabled until your system is completed booted. Then enable it.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello, Thank you for responding... :)

Yea that seems to work when I do that. But I've never had to do that before. Also I did some searching in my bios and found out that my pc is an "Acer Aspire 3000" Sorry about my weird information about it earlier... Back to the advice, I have only been able to log on successfully only by turning off the wireless device then re-enabling it after a successful start-up. I want to know it is possible avoid having to do this during my startups, as before?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hmmm,
This may be a driver issue.
Please go here and download the wireless driver.
The web site has instructions for you to follow, please read these instructions.
You will have to select your machine from the options.

Jozay

Jozay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I downloaded the driver and things seemed to go pretty good. Then after a few shut downs and start ups, The problem came back again.
I did some searching when my computer was in a state where it seemed to run normal, but if I had started any programs or caused my hard drive to run then my computer would freeze up. I checked the task manager and saw that every program didn't show the "USER" who was running it, all except "System Idle Process" which was being ran by "SYSTEM". The CPU process was at 99 but I figured that was normal. Every other program had their User blank.

I tried to launch Firefox which caused my PC to freeze and attempted to restart. A window poped up that said "Attempting to end Syntpnh.exe". I found out it was my MousePad but it never finished ending. I manually shutdown and restarted.