Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First System

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I am getting ready to build my first PC. I want to keep it as cheap as possible. I know I need a processor, motherboard, video card, case, modem, and monitor. What else do I need? What about the all the cables? Any links to places to by or compare prices would be appreciated. I am going to be to game with it, as well as do schoolwork and surf the net. I heard on TSS, you have to have at least a 9800 Pro to play Far Cry decently. Also, I want to use an AMD for pretty much the first time. The only AMD I have used in my life was a 166 MHz AMD K-5, now long gone into the place where all old PCs can live forever (the dump). TSS also said the balance of processor speed, RAM, and the video card working together is really what will help in gaming. I don't know how fast of a processor I will need to do heavy gaming with. The games are Madden 2005, NBA Live 2005, Far Cry, Uru, combat flight simulators, Need For Speed Underground and Hot Pursuit 2, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Any more suggestions for these types of games? What are some good combat flight simulators?

Thanks,
Nathan

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
ok, i can tell you almost anyitng you need ot know aobu tbuilding a comp, thats me an dmy dad do for our comps, lol, ok, try out Price Watch and Tiger Direct for prices, but i build my system, a AMD Anthalon XP 2500+ for about $500 from just Best Buy, with a good mobo and awasome ram, but yea, for far cry to scream, which I might add it only does on a very few select systems, the neww line of video cards which helps the game a lot, helps, i owuild recondment a good far cry system to cost ya about $1500, thats with a AMD Anthlon 64 FX-51 at about $730 at pricewatch, but for a bit cheaper, and less performace go with Anthlon 64 XP 3000+ for about $200, and for a mobo, Soyo - CK8 Dragon Plus - nVIDIA Socket 754 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP8X/4X, USB 2.0, RAID, Serial ATA, Hyper-Transport Capable, and 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Support it is only $140 with $60 mail in rebate at tiger direct, and the RAM, you will want 1gb atleast of ram, i recomend Kingston, but you can go with what ever, but BTW, your bus speed with CPU and Mobo will be 1600mhz, wich is quite fast! so, thsi shoudlk get you started, oh, and video card, you do not wanna skimp on that, i would recomend either GeForce 6800 Ultra 8x AGP card for about $500, but i have not seen them fior sale yet, or go with the Radeon X800 XT P.E. for $550 at price watch or to save a littl ebi tof $$$ go with the Radeon X800 Pro for just over $400 at pricewatch, i know they cost a lot, but they will last you a few years, lol!

Edited by goladith, 18 June 2004 - 12:06 AM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
On TSS they said a 2500+ was more than enough for Far Cry if you have a decent video card and at least 512 MB RAM. I do not want a 64 bit AMD. Also on TSS, they said there is no technology to take advantage of the 64 bit yet. Windows doesn't even run in 64 bit mode. They said not to jump on the 64 bit "bandwagon" yet. A lot of users just go with the hype.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
but you get the much high FSB speed

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
wait, you are talkign about "The Screen Savers" right?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Lol, yeah TSS = The Screen Savers. About your video card recommendations, I said I wanted to keep the price as low as possible. TSS said today that the 128 MB 9800 Pro was the lowest you could go with Far Cry.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
the 64 bit XP 3000+ are only $100 more then the regualr XP 2500+ and they only ruin at 333mhz FSB

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I am stuck on this page:

http://newegg.com/ap...talog=22&DEPA=1

What options do I select?

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
what do yo eman stuck, what are you trying ot do? and BTW, don't use new egg, they not all that cheap, tiger direct and rpicewatch are much better in my opinion

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i would think if you go that low on the vid card you will probly have clog up isues, i would think it owukd hose up, even on lower settings, i mean even though form what i hav heard the game hosses up even some of the best syustem sout there so, lol, anyways, hmm, well, then go with what TSS say, don't listen to a real gamer, you willw ant atleast a 256 mb card thoug i would think

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Ok, this convinced me to go with 64-bit:

http://images10.newe...wegg/farcry.htm

What do you suggest out of those lists? Remember, cheap. What else will I need to complete my system?

Dunno, you just confused me about Uru. It's good to see that I'm not the only one that's into Uru. I haven't even bought it yet.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
lol, good reason! hey, BTW, i am stuck in Uru, you would happen to know how to get past a part to get ot the next part would you?

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
for processor i owuld go with the 3200+ for 283 or what ever, it runs at 2 ghz, but you can OC that to probly almost 3ghz if you got right cooling, and the mobo, not sure yet, still looking, i am checking which bios they all use, lol

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
and the mobo i recomend is 'drum roll please' "GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS PRO" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU"!!!!!! make sure it is the nforce3 250, not the 150, the 250 is the same price, the 150 just doen't have a 1600mhz FSB it only have a 800mhz FSB, and the 250 has the 1600

Edited by goladith, 18 June 2004 - 12:43 AM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
so, what do you think? and ideas on what ram to choose yet?