Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First System

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Good choice on the processor, mine too. Why do you like the GB mobo? What type of RAM do I need?

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i recomend the gigabyte mobo becasue they make quialty goods, and it has the nice 1600mhz FSB, and it uses the AWARD bios, wich is awsome for overclocking you brand new AMD, you oc from with in the bio screen, no jumpers! and you cna easly reset your bio with just the moving of a single jumper, and RAM, how much you wanna spend on ram? oh, BTW, do you wanna keep all your purchases on new egg?

Edited by goladith, 18 June 2004 - 12:50 AM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I'll try to stay all newegg, except for RAM. I was leaning towards the ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe". What's wrong with it?

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
here is hwat i owuld recomend for a pretty decent price too, http://www.newegg.co...-144-137&depa=1

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i just have a personal grudge agenst ASUS, they stoped puttin gout driver updates for the mobo i had my last comp 3 monthes after it came out and well, some stuff kept crashing form not having compatible drivers, and Asus also, screwed a few poeple i know over on some of theri ocmputers, i have heard and gotten noting but a bad rep with them

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
What's the difference getting it from crucial except the price?

http://www.crucial.c...N Pro&submit=Go

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
also, the GB mobo looks so much cooler, lol

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
feel free to go with crucial, exept the Kinston is made for gaming, and it had the hyper threading tech, it is also PC4000 runs at 500mhz

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i am also biased, i a running the same exact ram in my comp, lol, as the stuffi recomended to you, lol

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
well, i toatled it up on ew egg, the mobo, ram and cpu, and it is about $770+ shipping, so, ye,a you want less cost, go cruical on ram

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
here is what I would go with if your looking for the amd 64.
click here
or
click here
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Ok, I'm going with this one. Where is a good place to get 1 GB RAM for it?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hey nathan

i cant believe this i missed this post!! this is my kinda area!! :D

gaming computers...even sweeter <_<

looks like u already got the mobo and stuff selected without me :D but thats ok

yea go wit the 64 bit and ATLEAST the 3200+, and i totally disagree, newegg and tigerdirect are excellent sites, also check out nextag also good

for memory check out tigerdirect, and search until u find the part of the site that offers all the selections of memory, go under gaming, and look for ATLEAST 1 Gig and pc4000

if u always want ideas go to Alienware and check out there AMD computers, ofcourse there parts are more expensive but just to get the general idea... have fun, this is gonna be a sweet computer

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't know about the chipset on that mobo, never been a big fan of ALI. You might want to check out this article: http://www.hardocp.c...e.html?art=NjI5

I have a 9700PRO and 9800PRO, they play FarCry no problem. (I'm thinking about setting up a FarCry multiplayer server). I also found this X800PRO for $329 http://shop4.outpost...ng=4053432&cat=

Also, check out NewEgg's refurb section, you can find some real good deals on video cards there--but they go fast, you have to check often.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Here's what I have so far:

SOYO - K8USA Dragon Ultra and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Combo (TigerDirect, $370)
CPU Cooling Fan ($25, TigerDirect)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 ($420, TigerDirect)

I know I'm going for overclocking dual-channel memory at 1 GB. What PC**** do you suggest?