Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First System

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This is a much better deal on a similar video card:

I also found this X800PRO for $329 http://shop4.outpost...ng=4053432&cat=

What PC**** do you suggest?

<_<

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
RAM, PC4000, PC3700, or what?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
PC3200. PC3500+ if you plan to overclock. <_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I have upgraded my mobo/processor combo and downgraded my RAM. Here is my new list:

Asus K8V Deluxe Socket 64 Motherboard with Athlon 64 3400+ Processor ($550, TigerDirect)
CPU Cooling Fan ($25, TigerDirect)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 ($420, TigerDirect)
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory(2x512MB) ($270, TigerDirect)
Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive ($130, TigerDirect)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy OEM Sound Card ($55, TigerDirect)
Artec 16x DVD-ROM Drive / Black / PowerDVD Software ($40, TigerDirect)
Megastor Dual Layer DVD Burner ($110, TigerDirect)
Powmax Black ATX Case with Clear Side, 80mm Fan and 400 Watt Power Supply ($40, TigerDirect)

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Bah NOOOO!!! Say NO to NVidia! I hate them so much. ATI is the best and always will be. *Slap* Wake Up!

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Could you help me emory, or are you here just to complain. You can't control me.

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sure, I can try to help. Im not complaining. Just stating a fact. I just ordered a new ATI Radeon 9600 XT a couple of hours ago. <_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You say you can help, but you haven't yet <_<. You're just proud that you just got a ATI. I'm proud that a NVIDIA is coming my way. Pure presonal preference.

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Lol! Ya thats pretty much true. I just prefer ATI. <_< But whatever works. And hey if you got enough money for it, go for it. I just know ATI is reliable and a great graphics company, but both of them have their pro's and con's. Anyways, what do you still need help with besides vid card? I just ordered all the rest of my stuff tonight that will finish my first comp im building. But i've looked at stuff for so long I know a lot about it.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I need a case now. How many watts should the power supply need to be?

Advertisements

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well if you want to take the time and add everything up <_< then there you go. But for me i just got a 350 watt PS that came with mine. I might upgrade to better 400 watt one but it just depends on how much you think you'll use. As far as cases go, If you plan on OC'ing or even have some really top of the line parts, you might want a good case that stays cool. But usually you can find a good one for pretty cheap. Mine has 2 LED fans and a 350 watt PS and 4 LED lights on the front and it was only 42 bucks. But thats newegg.com for you :D

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I have upgraded my mobo/processor combo and downgraded my RAM. Here is my new list:

Asus K8V Deluxe Socket 64 Motherboard with Athlon 64 3400+ Processor ($555, TigerDirect)
CPU Cooling Fan ($25, TigerDirect)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 ($420, TigerDirect)
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory(2x512MB) ($270, TigerDirect)
Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive ($130-$40=$90, TigerDirect)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy OEM Sound Card ($55, TigerDirect)
Artec 16x DVD-ROM Drive / Black / PowerDVD Software ($40, TigerDirect)
Megastor Dual Layer DVD Burner ($110-$30=$80, TigerDirect)
Powmax Black ATX Case with Clear Side, 80mm Fan and 400 Watt Power Supply ($40, TigerDirect)

Can someone please check this to see if they can work together or if I missed anything? Thanks. <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
I go with the soyo MB if you plan on overclocking its got the dip switch that make it so you don't have to do it in bios setting
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks tazz <_<! You saved me money too:

SOYO - CK8 Dragon Plus and AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor ($550-$60=$490, TigerDirect)

Will this round out the system itself?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
I my have made a mistake on the dip switches I'm checking on this not all the soyo boards come with them.
<_<