Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRC Client Needed

• Please log in to reply

Phriend

Phriend

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've been having a hard time entering an online chat room and I've been told that I should get an IRC client.

That said, I know nothing about these. Can anyone recommend a good (free) IRC client that is suited for beginners?

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
You might want to look into mIRC, it's what I use and I have no problems with it :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed MIRC is easy....it's TECHNICALLY not free though...it is a timed trial...but the programmer allows you (as far as i've read in the EULA) to pretty much use it indeffinitely....however after 30 days...you will get popups asking you to "register" your copy...i can't remember the price but it's probably $20 or so

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Trillian allows IRC connections as well as connecting you to all your IMs at the same time. It's free. Or you can get Pro version and use plug-ins.

Ron

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Most IRC Servers provide you with a CGI or Java chat on their website, that you can use instead of downloading anything. But if you'd like to download a client, I'd recommend mIRC.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The Java clients I've seen are pretty inflexible and don't have a very good user interface. If you're planning on chatting a lot and/or joining a lot of servers or channels, having a client is a much better option than using a Java chat interface.