Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burners

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
hello, im buying a new dual layer dvd burner (ideally this one......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131056
the specs say it burns dual layer dvds at 8x, however 8x dual layer dvds are pretty expensive and im not really in a rush.

im pretty sure that the 8x burn speed is a maximum speed, but i just want to double check before i go buy a spindle of dvds.

the blank dvds i was looking at getting are here....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130008

so my question is can the dvd burner ive provided a link to above, burn 6x dual layer dvds, or do i have to get the 8x ones?

thanks alot
-josh

Advertisements

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Pip
  • 7 posts
New dvd burners are pretty compatible. My guess is that it can burn lower than their 8x. Might be a good idea to do some googling or look for the manual for that specific drive online.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The rated burner speed is only a maximum value, so anything below that value will burn fine, in this case 6x. In addition, you can still burn with a 6x burner on media that's rated for 16x. Again in the case of the media, the value of the media is only the rated maximum and not a fixed number that must be attained while burning. The slower you burn to the disc the higher the quality of the burn.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2008 - 11:22 AM.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks a l lot
i kind of figured that to be the case, i just wanted to double check before i spent a bunch of money on blank dvds

thanks again
-josh