Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wep key problem

• Please log in to reply

ahmedi

ahmedi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi all
my name is Ahmed from Iraq
I am new member in this site ,

but I am visiting this site since 2 years,and I learned many thinks from this site ,how to remove malware ,viruse and trojan
I am from iraq and I have problem in my wireless network
router linksys WRT 45 GS with speed booster
I am using senao AP
I am using MAC address filter and wep key 128

and I hope that I you will help me to resolve my problem
the problem is
my customers in my network using programs as wirelesswepkeyview ,wirelesswepkeyspy and aircrack to discover the wepkey stored in PC and they give the wepkey to people ,
the people change the MAC adderss and using the wepkey to connect to my wireless network
how can I prevent my customers from discover the wepkey that stored in th PCS?
how prevent them fronm using wirelesswepkeyview, aircrack and wirelesswepkeyspy and all software that discover the stored wepkey?
I hope that I will find the resolving and you will help me

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

As it looks like you have already realized, WEP is not very secure. If your client systems allow it then switch to WPA2 which is much harder to crack. I believe that will be your best.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Ahmed

As it looks like you have already realized, WEP is not very secure. If your client systems allow it then switch to WPA2

As well as this look into the router and disable broadcast ssid. Since they have your ssid Change it - you will have to change it on your computer also. If in doubt then look for backing up your router settings so you can go back.
It is best to wire your computer to the router to make changes.
Cheers
Peterm

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ehh, and why we are at it, it is also good practice to change the name of your network from the default as well as the name of the router.

ahmedi

ahmedi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you all
and I am sorry for delay
I am using senao access point for wireless the high security in it is 128 wep ,there is no WPA2
and
i already hide the network SSID in senao
and my network SSID in not default I already chanched it to : Alrasheed
the router just gateway the wireless in it is disable
the customers are using wirelesswepkey view to discover the wepkey already stored in their computers
they not need time to crack it ,they just run the software wirelesswepkey view in their computers and the program discover the network SSID and the wepkey
http://www.nirsoft.n...reless_key.html
http://www.nirsoft.net/
how can I prevent my customers from using aircrack , WirelessKeyView and wirelesswepkeyspy?
any patch file to prevent them?

the WirelessKeyView ,wirelesswepkeyspy target wirelesszero configure service in the registry to discover the wep key
I hope that you understand me now because I am not good in English language
I am sure that your expert will find patch file to prenvet my costumers from discover the wep key stored in them computers
high regards

Edited by ahmedi, 08 May 2008 - 07:31 AM.

ahmedi

ahmedi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
plaese help me

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your only option is going to be to switch to WPA even if it means getting a new access point. Like I said before WEP is not very secure. If you want a secure connection you will need to switch to a different type of encryption.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a look at the senao AP web site and see if they have an upgrade to wpa.
I have asked another tech ( Network GURU) to look at this post.

ahmedi

ahmedi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you
Daer Petern
I am waiting
dear I mean my customers run the freeware wirelesswepkeyview and it recover the wepkey that stored in the pc

Edited by ahmedi, 12 May 2008 - 07:39 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you looked for an upgrade for the senao AP ?
Is it possible to take it out of the equation and just use the linksys - it has wpa security
could you please supply mor information on the Senao AP for example Model no. Serial number
Because the data I can find says Senao does support WPA but we need to check model number
Cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 12 May 2008 - 10:28 PM.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Is it possible to use a different software to manage the wireless connection and not use zero configuration in windows so it can't recover the key code? Use the software that comes with the wireless network card and disable windows zero configuration service.

ahmadi

ahmadi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All
I am sorry for the delay because i forgot my user name for login and now I registered new account
I think that fawoodward understanded what I want and what I mean
Dear fawoodward
I tried to Using the software that comes with the wireless network card but it not succed ,because there is software program "seepass" this program recover the wep key that I must enter it in the wireless network card
utility ,this program "seepass"recover all password that appear as stars until in the email as yahoo ,msn,etc
now you understand that what I need ,I hope that you will explain it to your friends in this site to help me
because I am not goog in english language,
more informations :I used olydbg to analyz the wirelesskeyview program
and wzcook that come with aircrack to discover how these programs recover the wep key

now I just need away to prevent access to the registry tool

high regards

Edited by ahmadi, 15 May 2008 - 04:03 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I didn't see where you indicated what operating system you're using, but you should still be able to run gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor) and try limiting or removing access to modifying registry keys altogether for a specific user or group of users. Be sure you're careful and don't lock yourself out :)

Hope this helps.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
They do not get the key from your registry it comes from the router or the access point.
I have been looking at the 2 programs and the bad part is even if you upgrade to wpa the program will still find the key.
I can't think of a way out of this as long aas it stays wireless.
I will keep researching.
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
How many wireless computers do you have in your network.
We could look at changing your dhcp so if you hav 5 computers it will only give out 5 ip addresses.
Cheers
peterm