Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting tired of XP...

• Please log in to reply

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm interested in trying a version of Linux. Ubuntu sounds good, but I am extremely unexperienced in Linux. I am a fast learner though if there is something / someone I can refer to.

Basically, I need a fast, reliable OS. I'd prefer one that is more straightforward to begin with, which I'm sure anyone would recommend for a beginner with a Linux based system. If there is a version or two that is a mix of the things I need, I'd love to hear it!

I really am getting sick of XP.. and I am not interested in Vista. :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As you can see from my siggy I like PCLinuxOS. It prefer it to the 'buntus, it's easier to install and add programs to, it's desktop interface is very comfortable for a Windows user, and it's very fast and stable. I went away from XP myself because it was slowing down with use and added updates and too prone to getting trojans, and the new trojans were getting very hard to remove. You also have no disk defragging or virus scans to deal with, although you can put in virus scanning software.

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is it terribly hard to install? I have zero experience installing OS'.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I find it easier than Windows. Most of the modern installers can set up auto magically the partitions you need and install the base system with little user input. It can usually be finished, updated and ready to use in less than an hour (depending on your Internet connection). I haven't been able to do that with XP for years and Vista is just as bad when it comes to installing. SP1 for Vista took almost and hour to install by itself. Then there was still all the security software left to install.

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As long as there is a step by step install guide I would be fine. I wonder, how do you partition the drive to have XP and Linux bootable? How would that work, would you have the option on startup which OS you want to use?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

As long as there is a step by step install guide I would be fine. I wonder, how do you partition the drive to have XP and Linux bootable? How would that work, would you have the option on startup which OS you want to use?

All the versions of desktop Linux have forums where new users are helped with their problems. The answer is basically yes to all your questions but details vary for different distributions of Linux.

A good place to start is here:

http://distrowatch.com/

Look on the right hand side of the page for links to the various versions of Linux known as "distros", short for distributions. Check out the forums as well as the home pages. Most of them come as live CDs so you can try it out before you even install it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
If your willing to wait I will download pclinux and go through the steps of setting it up as a dual boot with xp. With Tyger and Silverbeard being there for backup if needed. ( I have not asked them yet) I will document the steps. Do you have cd burning software.
If Yes which one if not nero like me then I will download a freebie so we are on the same platform.

Cheers
peterm
Ps
I have been using ubuntu on and off as a live cd and find no problems

Edited by peterm, 07 May 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That would be great, so I can keep track of the steps and use them when I am ready for PCLinux.

I am using Nero, yes.

Thanks Peterm :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok before you go to the steps of loading PCLinux may I suggest you try as a live cd 1st. I have and I am not impressed (Sorry Tyger)
1st
1) Download PCLinux. Make sure you also expand the download file and copy the checksum numbers to notepad.
2) Download DigestIt2004 DigestIt2004
3) Unzip DigestIt 2004
4) Click on DigestIt 2004 Windows Installer.
5) Follow the wizard and choose Typical for your install and close the wizard when finished.
6) Right click on the PCLinux ISO you downloaded earlier.
7) Click on DigestIt 2004.
8) Click on Verify
9) Copy and paste the number you saved earlier as the checksum. ( Do not copy the pclinuxos-2007.iso part)
10) When finished it should say Verification Succeeded. If not then your ISO is no good and you have to re download

2nd
1) Download and unzip Easy Iso Burner Easy ISO
2) Click on Easy Iso.exe
3) Click on Iso menu
4) Click on burn Iso
5) Navigate to the PCLinux ISO you downloaded earlier
6) Insert blank cd into your burner
7) When finished the cd will eject
8) Click on close.

3rd
Make sure your computer is set to boot from the cd. Insert cd and play.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Peterm, you do understand that a live CD will not be as fast as an install on a hard drive? And that you may need to install some drivers and updates to get the best performance, just as you might for Windows, which of course doesn't offer live CDs to let you sample the goods.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi Tyger
Yes I know that but you can still get a feel for the OS and see if you like it before you commit.
Cheers
Peterm

Ionen

Ionen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ubuntu is quite mainstream for Linux right now and the new version (8.04) seems to be an improvement for the community and it's quite easy to use and has the most tools an end-user could ask for built-in - the biggest downside is Firefox 3 beta that comes as a default, but you could always turn to version no 2.
I'm using Ubuntu at work on one of the computers there and it does it's job pretty good.

Edited by Ionen, 13 May 2008 - 01:19 AM.

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
just a thought linux puppy dingo 4.0 dont even install it just make sure you can boot to your CD drive it runs on the ram lighting fast too. pop in a pen drive to save your files to when your done, or even intall it to a pen drive eather way (pen drive) or CD and pen drive with saved files you can use it in any pc pretty cool

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Wubi. I've never tried it but it looks like an interesting way to try Linux without a full install. You don't like it, uninstall it.

Windows_XP/VISTA_User

Windows_XP/VISTA_User

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok before you go to the steps of loading PCLinux may I suggest you try as a live cd 1st. I have and I am not impressed (Sorry Tyger)
1st
1) Download PCLinux. Make sure you also expand the download file and copy the checksum numbers to notepad.
2) Download DigestIt2004 DigestIt2004
3) Unzip DigestIt 2004
4) Click on DigestIt 2004 Windows Installer.
5) Follow the wizard and choose Typical for your install and close the wizard when finished.
6) Right click on the PCLinux ISO you downloaded earlier.
7) Click on DigestIt 2004.
8) Click on Verify
9) Copy and paste the number you saved earlier as the checksum. ( Do not copy the pclinuxos-2007.iso part)
10) When finished it should say Verification Succeeded. If not then your ISO is no good and you have to re download

2nd
1) Download and unzip Easy Iso Burner Easy ISO
2) Click on Easy Iso.exe
3) Click on Iso menu
4) Click on burn Iso
5) Navigate to the PCLinux ISO you downloaded earlier
6) Insert blank cd into your burner
7) When finished the cd will eject
8) Click on close.

3rd
Make sure your computer is set to boot from the cd. Insert cd and play.

Um...I know this post has been long gone but I have put Linux inside a CD but how do I get my computer to boot it before it loads Windows? I also don't understand the "...expand the download file and copy the checksum..." :) :) :) :) (P.S. I am doing this because my computer "can't find vgaoem.fon")

Edited by Windows_XP/VISTA_User, 27 February 2010 - 07:44 PM.