Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numpad4 flooding

• Please log in to reply

peater

peater

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

A few weeks ago my numpad 4 key started flooding a random number of times whenever i pressed it. When playing games, the arrow keys would also flood.

The keyboard was a ps2 type. To see if the motherboard or the keyboard were the problem, i bought a brand new usb keyboard - still the same problem. This told me that the ps2 keyboard was fine and it was less likely that the motherboard was broken.

A friend suggested ESET antivirus and firewall suit. Although it didn't detect any viruses/ keyloggers it stopped the arrow keys from flooding in game. But not the numpad 4.

So, i reformatted my pc - problem still didn't go away. Also, today it's started sending 4 along with other keys, however it's not doing it now.

My CPU temp is normal, CPU voltage is normal, CPU usage is normal, RAM usage is normal, pagefile usage is normal. I *think* i tried it in safemode and i didn't get any flooding.

Are there any more tests i can do to find the problem?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi peater, welcome to G2G.

Very weird problem indeed. You've eliminated the keyboard as a possible source, XP also since you reinstalled it.

That leaves the mother board or the BIOS. Try booting into BIOS Setup and loading defaults. Save and exit, see if that helps. If not, check the manufactures web site, see if there is a BIOS update available. If yes, try flashing the BIOS to the new level.

One last thing before replacing the mother board. Power down, then unplug the power cord. Remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button in for 15 seconds or so then release it. Wait a few minutes, then put the CMOS battery back in, plug in the power cord and boot up. You should be prompted to set the CMOS date and time, if not, go into BIOS setup and check it anyway as it shuold be wrong now.

You could also try a bootable CD like Puppy Linux, EBCD or UBCD4WIN. Or even boot a Windows 98 SE floppy disk that you can download from bootdisk.com. See if the keys work okay when not booted to XP.