Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the coputer starts and suddenly off before even windows starts

• Please log in to reply

kenji mousa

kenji mousa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi guys
a problem occured right after i disconnected the "cpu fan" in order to clean it up from dust , the coputer works but suddenly shuts even before windos ... some tech expert told me the cpu is distroyed , some told me the fan , i wanna know whats the problem and if i can fix it alone ... :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Forgive me, but you have plugged the fan back in...?

kenji mousa

kenji mousa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes i plugged it well and it works normally as a good little fan ,but yet this problem is not yet solved ... the intire computer shuts all the sudden as if someone just pull off the cables ... (plz don't ask me to make sure that no one is hiding behind the desk) !

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour can be caused by overheating processor, hence why I asked what I asked. The fan is spinning I take it?

Did you remove the heatink/fan at all? What sort of processor is it?

kenji mousa

kenji mousa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
aaahhhh yaah... i forgot to say that the first time i disconnected the fan it jump off as if it was stuck with some sort of glue and there was a gray colored substance on top of the prossessor and on the bottom of the fans butt ... i removed it coz it didn't looked so professional ( i agree there's no doubt that its the over heating of the prossessor ... but now what , the fan works ...!!!

anyways thanks for wasting your time with me dude ... your gr8

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

there was a gray colored substance on top of the prossessor and on the bottom of the fans butt

that was thermal paste and is supposed to be there...

Whenever you install a heatsink on a CPU you always have to apply thermal paste....
Thermal paste is a very high heat conductive paste that is used between a CPU and heatsink to get better heat conduction. It fills in all those microscopic imperfections on the heatsink and CPU that can trap air in them and cause a loss in the heatsink's performance. Air is a very poor conductor of heat....

However... too much thermal paste will hinder a heatsink's ability to cool properly....
go here ..to get the lowdown on applying the paste and/or follow the directions that came with the paste you get..

Metal based thermal paste are the most popular ....These pastes have lots of little metal particles in the grease that have a high thermal conductivity.... One disadvantage of this type of paste is that it is also electrically conductive as well so you must be careful not to get it anywhere on the mobo or it can cause a short...

Ceramic-based thermal paste are also a popular solution that doesn't perform quite as well as metal-based pastes, but the difference is minimal (1-3C). These consist of some form of thermally conductive material with lots of little ceramic particles. The advantage of ceramic-based pastes is that they do not conduct electricity....

Silicon-based thermal paste are usually what thermal pads that come on stock heatsinks are made of.... These work well also...

For brands of thermal paste the best around are...in no particular order
Arctic Silver 5.. metallic based... there is the risk of causing a short in the electronic components..

Arctic Cooling MX-2 ...it is completely metal free. The biggest advantage to this is the lack of conductivity ...

Coollaboratory liquid pro ( you cannot use it on aluminum heatsinks )

IMHO..Others may work but maybe not as good...pay the few extra dollars that are needed for some of the more expensive brands...it is usually worth it....
some reviews on comparing the thermal pastes are here and here

to get extra cooling you can lap the heatsink..the lowdown is here..
lapping your heat sink can create a better surface for heat transfer. You should notice close to a 5°C drop in CPU temperature, although your results may vary....
IMPORTANT NOTE ON LAPPING...
if you don't do this properly...you can wind up with a heatsink that is not flat and be worse off than before you started...the surface you put the sanding paper on MUST be perfectly flat ..and you must keep the heatsink flat against the paper...
When you lap your heatsink... and you do a good job of it.. you will require even less thermal paste as these microscopic imperfections have got even smaller...

kenji mousa

kenji mousa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanxs alot guys ... you all are awsome !

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)