Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me I have lost my sound

• Please log in to reply

Lisey

Lisey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,
So in short I had a massive virus and trojan issue two months back I finally did a complete restore to factory settings after two days of downloading programs rebooting etc my computer works fantastic but I have no sound. I have spent far too many hours trying to fix this I managed to get all my drivers updated etc I had lost my SNDvol but was able top recover it however I have tried every fix I could find and cannot get my sound back I even bought new speakers knowing that was not going to help so here I am:) I have a V2 Premier with Realtek AC97, Legacy drivers,Unimodem full duplex, and audio codecs three listed again all shows as working no question marks or exclamation points. This is driving me crazy!!!! thank you in advance for any input. Also under admin components Windows audio is set as running.

Advertisements

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm Download tweak 371, that restores the audio service. That might solve your issue. Sounds like everything else is good.

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried clicking on that tweek 371 it does not seem to have a way to download could you please advise me all it did was open up no download option. Thank you:)

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
give this a try

Go to "Start"-\"control Panel"-\"Administrative Tools"-\"Component Services". This will pull up a seperate window, on the left click "services (local)" from the tree. Go down to the "windows audio" service. If the service is on "disabled" or "manual"; right click and select "properties" under "startup type" change to "automatic"- click apply. click "start". Reboot!!

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It is set to automatic and claims it is running:(

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
my computer/cdrive/windows/system32/sndvol32.exe

right click on it and open
does your volume control panel open

you need your windows cd for this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

or try this at kellys corner

Lastly, run this edit: Restore Volume and Net Icon in the Notification Area

click on that when get to kellys korner it will be in blue

http://www.kellys-ko....com/xp_abc.htm

scroll down to volume....Volume Control - The volume icon does not appear in the notification area (system tray)

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I do have the volume control when I click on the fix for restoring sound I then saved it and then restarted my system and still no sound:(

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My volume control pops open with no issues. I have to head out for a bit but please please continue to post any ideas so I can try them after I really appreciate your help I have tried so many different things so any ideas you may have please post them I need my volume:( Thank you again:)

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Start/Control Panel/Open Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio Tab/Sound Playback and Sound Recording?are they both showing Realtek AC/97 Audio in drop menu

Next press the Advance Button/is it showing your speaker set-up Desktop Stereo Speakers.

Did you try to uninstall the drivers and let windows reinstall them

Start/Run/ devmgmt.msc / click ok

go to Sound Video and Game controllers
right click on Realtek AC/97
choose uninstall
restart your computer
hardware wizard will find the missing device/drivers and reinstall them
go back to controll panel and see if everything is in order nothing is grayed out

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok just checked back as I will off and on today I have done all of the last steps listed and still no sound everything seems to be in order yet no sound?? Thanks again:)

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
is your speaker wire connected right>>>the connection should be green to green in back of computer
and nothing is muted in control panel>> audio and sounds>>advanced >>performance>>is both sliders at full/all the way to the right

in audio and sounds click on the sounds tab>>scroll to select>>you will see a drop menu>>on the drop menu choose windows xp .wav>>click apply Confirm and click ok to close

its always idea to restart your computer when ever you make any changes

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cords are fine I have tried my old speakers and new and I do have it set to the wav sound. Blasted computer !!!! Thank you again for adding ideas I am trying all that are posted:)

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Open any windows sound file, change the speaker plugs 1 at a time and play the sound file after each time you plug into a new jack just to double check.

Also, do you have onboard sound and a sound card? Possibly you're plugged into the onboard instead of the sound card.

Lisey

Lisey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have tried to switch the cords around my speakers that came with the computer have three cords that fit directly into the three spots in the back of the computer. I have swapped them around and even tried plugging my new speaker set that only has one cord in back and in front. I have clicked on the volume control and checked off all the options to be sure the volume is not muted on any of them Wave,Front,Subwoofer,etc they all have the volume up to the highest level. I have Realtek AC97 5.0 I have updated the drivers removed them reinstalled them allowed the computer to reinstall them etc. I had sound up until I did the restore back to factory settings and then had to update my XP and all other programs. I currently have my new set of speakers plugged into my front outlet and then my old speakers plugged into the back just in case. I just cant figure out what the issue could be. What are the values supposed to be under the H_key Users mine says (Default) Reg_Sz then it has my last name where the data would go then from there down the next folder is S-1-5-19 this is also set as Default Reg_SZ (value not set) next folder down is S-1-5-19_classes (Default) Reg_Sz (no value set)etc. do the H_key values have any impact on the sound??Also I just noticed under the registry the Audiosrv key shows the first line as Default Reg_Sz with no value set now under that top line there are values placed on the other strings but the first one is listed as Default with no value. Thank again:)

Edited by Lisey, 07 May 2008 - 08:13 AM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I would stay out of the registry. Since you're not familiar with it, you can cause a lot more problems than you have now if you change or remove something.

You may have already tried this, but try uninstalling your sound device from device manager, then, if it's a sound card, physically removing the card form your system or, if it's integrated, disabling the sound in BIOS. Then uninstalling any sound program you have installed, then reinsert card or re-enable sound in BIOS and restart. Let windows detect the sound device and see if any joy.

Good luck.