Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

on-board video

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I was wondering what the name of the on-board video I have on my mother board...if someone could help me find it. I have a ECS GOAL3+ AMD Sempron 3000+ 754 SiS 761 GX Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo. All it says for the video is Integrated 2D and 3D Graphics. I am not sure were to look. :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Do you have a manual for the motherboard? If not you could try looking up the model number on the companies website...

Oh and just so you know some companies use several different "model" numbers and if you don't have the one they use on the website you may have to google your way into there site...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The clue is usually though not always in the chipset name.

SIS chipsets with onboard graphics tend be of the SIS variety, typically SIS 741.
VIA chipsets tend to use S3 Graphics or UniChrome.
NVidia chipsets with onboard tend to be a Nvidia variety, these are usually good for what they are.
Intel chipsets with onboard are usually one of the many variations of Intel Extreme Graphics, a contradictory name for integrated graphics if ever there was one.
ATI chipsets used to be mix and match, though now they do have ATI graphics which are cut-down versions of the mainstream cards.

Note that are various combinations available so its perfectly possible (though unlikely) to have a VIA chipset board with an entirely different brand of graphics.

Note that most onboard graphic solutions are typically substandard for gaming purposes, though Nvidia and ATI graphics may be able to get away with older lower-end games.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 May 2008 - 04:02 PM.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The reason I need to know was because I downloaded and install Ubuntu as a dual boot on my XP computer and the graphics on it are crackly is the only way I can put it. I am not sure if its the burn that messed up, because it works fine besides the graphics being messed up. I was hoping if I could find the right graphics driver that I can use for Linux that it would fix the problem. I have not really messed with any graphics except nvidia. So I wasn't sure on other manufactures. :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Well, you can know your graphic with GPU-Z. Just download and run it.. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Edit: Advice removed because it only applies to Nvidia and ATI chipsets.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 May 2008 - 01:22 PM.