Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have been given a networking computer with Windows 2000 professional. I wanted my windows xp. It downloaded but does not work, it has taken out my list in control panel. In control panel add and remove programs shows no programs listed and has a blank page. How do I correct this and get rid of windows xp download? Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How do you mean "downloaded" XP?

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I put in my xp cd downloaded and installed

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you take the upgrade path from 2000 to XP? If so, I'd recommend doing a clean install, which means you format the hard drive during the install process. See here for directions: Clean Install - Michael Stevens Tech

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for your replys I went to windows update and message said no updates. I inserted xp cd and at first it wouldn't take so I stopped. After doing other downloads upon restarting it went to installing xp so I went throught the install process. At this point I could go no further and could not do anything. I went to control panel add and remove programs to see what was there and message said there were no programs installed on this computer.It is a blank page but I still have every thing installed. I will try the clean install.

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you I now have xp fully downloaded and installed. It is working on and off line. Now I would like to know how to uninstall windows 2000 professional. Add and Remove programs in Control Panel shows a message there are no programs installed on this computer. I am able to use either operating system but would like to uninstall 2000 and put the space to good use. Thank you barbarabigsandy

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Post your boot.ini here please.
Right click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button
Click on the Edit button
Notepad will open with the contents of boot.ini in it. CUt and paste the info in a reply here.

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you do I post boot.ini in xp or 2000 windows?

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

barbarabigsandy

barbarabigsandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you everyone for help and postings. I have been busy, after Ztruker replyed I posted boot.ini from windows xp.

While I was waiting I went into windows2000 and uninstalled programs from the start meau that had the option to do that.

I found a post about missing files. This is one part it said and I tyied it.
Open windows Task Manager Press Ctrl+Shift+ESC and click the Processes tab. (I did this in windows 2000)

In the list of running programs select Exployer.Exe and right click Exployer.Exe and click End Process which I did.

After uninstalling I like to do a restart which is needed. When I went off line AOL did an update and restarted. Upon restarting F8 screen appeared showing only windows default not windowsxp or windows2000. It went right into windos 2000.

I thought I had done a full setup but quess I was wrong. I restated with xp cd in and setup started again. I now have only xp on this computer no more windows 2000.

I don't want to become an expert but knowledge is good. Proof you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks everybody for help. I will visit again not jus when I need help but to say hi and maybe help someone else. barbarabigsandy