Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU Trouble :help:

• Please log in to reply

awmartian

awmartian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Ok, I am working on my mom's PC. She gave me the computer with no power (the fans wouldn't turn on internally and no lights in front). I replaced the PSU and was able to get the fans to turn on and an orange light in the front. I believe the correct color should be green when system is normal.

I have power to the drives and HDD. I can't get Bios to load or anything to appear on the screens. No lights on keyboard either. The old power supply was 250 and the one I bought is 350 w/ dual fans. I don't see the piece on the mobo for the 4 connector piece (I belive its called the 12V ??) I did jump CMOS and also took out the battery over night. Reformatted HDD with Win XP Recovery Disk(Mom had pw lock on) Nothing has worked so far...

My questions are: Would the CPU fan be working if I blew the CPU?
Did the Mobo get fried?
Could it be bad memory or it got blown?

Here are the computer Specs:

Emachines C2480 AMD Athlon XP Processor 2400+
CD-RW 48x
DVD 16x
512MB DDR
3D s3 ProSavage8 Available AGP slot
80 GB Western Digital Ultra ATA 100 Drive

Thanks for any input. ;) Amber

Edited by awmartian, 26 April 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

El Barto

El Barto

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
'Ello,

Would the CPU fan be working if I blew the CPU?
Well for most yes, nealy all CPU fans connect to the motherboard and get its power from that, so even with no CPU it would work perfectly fine.

Did the Mobo get fried?
I don't think that would have happened from putting in a new power supply, this is based on if the computer worked before your mum had to give it to you to try fixing and didn't like buy it second hand and is not sure if it works or not.

Could it be bad memory or it got blown?
If the memory worked fine before I don't think so, but it still could be, normally the computer will beep at you though if this is the case.

hmm, I am not sure what it could be, really you might want to check all of the cables are lugged in correctly and the jumper set correctly. Does the computer beep when you try booting up, if so how many?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What happened to cause the computer or PSU to stop working when your mum had it?

awmartian

awmartian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My mom was the original owner and has had the computer for 3 years. The problems started when her keyboard started typing the wrong letters. She pushed "d" and "k" would come up. Then sometimes it would be the right letter but repeated itself three or for times "ddddd". I instructed her to check for visuses...nothing came up on norton. I told her to double check her keyboard driver. She uninstalled it and still nothing worked.

Then the next time she restarted the computer it gave her "disc errors" and would not load windows. She didn't have a floppy in at all. She tried going into Bios to see if my brother had messed with any settings. She exited descarding changes and tried to restart. Then the power went off and she was unable to turn the computer back on. When I looked at the power unit it had tons of dust and none of the fans were working. It was only a 250w so I figured either way she should upgrade her unit.

I replaced the power unit. I have power to the fans, drives, and the light on the front of the computer. Bios still does not load. I reformatted her hard drive so she would have a clean windows installation. There are no lights on the keyboard and the monitor does not read a signal so it goes into power save mode by default. I double checked to make sure all the cables were on snug and in the correct place.
The computer does not beep or make any sounds. I am not sure if this is because my mom had the sounds disabled in bios.

Any other ideas??? Thanks for the input. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You can't normally disable the system speaker in the bios, only the onboard sound card, so provided the speaker is connected to the motherboard (unless its a buzzer of course), then it should beep.

Out of interest, are you still trying to boot the system with the original keyboard? Because it sounds the original keyboard was suffering from sticky keys.

Can you tell me if the CPU or heatsink/fan has been removed or disturbed at any time?
Is your video card integrated or off board?