Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Failure?

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyHolic666

JohnnyHolic666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.

I own a Biostar T-Series TA690G AM2 Motherboard for almost a year now and its an amazing MATX board. I know quite a bit about PC building however today I was using the flash Bio program to update my bios for the first time. I saved all my current bios then installed some updates. I had 3 to do. Each one required a restart. I got through 2 of them, but 30% through the 3rd one, my PC froze and reset.

Upon reloading, all I got and have been getting since is a black screen of death.

Now, ive checked th PSU, its working. Turning on the motherboard makes the PSU fan, CPU fan and 2 case fans, Graphics card fan work. So power is running trhough. As far as i know all i had to do was reset the CMOS by switching the jumper. I tried it, didnt work. I then stripped down my PC and reinstalled EVERTHING. So at one point after having a bare board i only had memory/CPU/HDD running.

Still BSOD. No lights on the motherboard. 2 red lights usually confirm everything is working and no lights mean serious error. Ive disconnected form the PSU, even taken out and put back the Lithium battery on the board itslelf. Nothing happens.

So does anyone have any idea what this could be? MY PC has been working fine up until now and it was the Crash mid-Flash Bios update that seems to have caused the problem but theres no way of getting to the main bootup/Bios screen at all.

Did my mobo just die or does anyone know anyother way of restoring it other than replacing the whole board. All i can think of as an alternative is that my CPU (X2 AM2 6000+ 3.0ghz) fried itself somehow or coincidently just died at the same time as the crash.

Any ideas let me know cheers.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Flashing a motherboards BIOS is a somewhat risky procedure. It is risky because crashes during the BIOS installation can render the board useless.

You can test the other parts in the computer by putting them in another machine but I believe you are looking at getting a new board.

JohnnyHolic666

JohnnyHolic666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
After researching a little bit and reading the above comment, iam pretty much calling it in. My mobo is dead. Still kinda p*ss*d that it happened but I took the gamble and it didnt pay off but you learn form your mistakes. Ah well new Sli mobo for me then :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Sorry on your loss. I know how frustrating issues like this can be... :)

I was just wondering why you attempted to update the BIOS in the first place? Was something not running right, or were you intending on upgrading the processor and needed the latest BIOS version to achieve this? If the computer is running fine, there is no need to update the BIOS. As Titan8990 has mentioned, flashing the motherboard's BIOS is risky business.

So now you're off looking for a new motherboard - do you need some help finding a good choice? If you would like to list your needed specifications, and a budget, we can help you choose one.

Cheers

Troy

JohnnyHolic666

JohnnyHolic666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The reason I decided to flash the bios was due to a constant memory error I seemed to be getting as well as a lot of slowness. I tried just keeping 1 stick of my 3 gig in to find out if one of the sticks was corrupted but it wasnt. So when I checked my motherboards website there was a new bio's' just released for a memory error also it makes it run faster. So, I decided to do this since my usual option is to wipe the HDD and start over seeing it hasnt been done in 3 years wasnt an option without a second HDD to back up my video/music/pics etc.

So yea thats the reason. As for ofering to help me find a replacement, I appreciate your help but ive got a few in mind, ive built muliple PC's before its jsut this is the first time ive never been able to fix a problem so its frustrating hah. Either going with the same board or going to upgrade to an ATX and mid tower as opposed to the MATX I usually use since I have too many heat issues...plus I crave SLi :)

Thanks for your help :)