Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

moving data from an old computer

• Please log in to reply

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My old computer from college is sitting in my closet right now. I would like to get some old files off of it. I't is running win95. I have a usb drive, but the old computer won't recognize it (drivers on the disk only go back to win98). Am I out of luck? Or is there an easy way to do this that I don't know about? I also need info about wiping the drive clean after and how to get rid of the computer (trash, recycling center, donations, etc.).

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
pop the drive in the new machine, copy files, then format the drive with the new machine.

Before formatting it, tho, consider donating the computer...just remove the data. Give the disk to the volunteer organization if you have it to transfer the license..if it was an OEM install, the license travels with the machine and no disk is required.

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I would have tried that, but I'm on notebook now. Do you know of any donation drop off locations, or of a website to get the info? Thanks for the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fyi...you can get a harddrive enclosure for less than $30, drop it in there, then hook it up through your laptop usb port.

As for donations...that depends on your location....look in the yellow pages under volunteer

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks. I'll check out micro center later and see what they have.