Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply

dinnerentre

dinnerentre

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
The computer is an Evo N1015V and when the heatsink is not screwed on tight when I press power the fan spins for a bit, then the whole thing shuts off.

If I tighten the heatsink and turn it on, the fan never spins, and the power stays on.

I pretty certain the CPU itself if fried, but still I would like to figure out whats happening

I have posted a video on you tube showing the problem:

Edited by dinnerentre, 07 May 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First you should never run your machine without the heat sink in place and the fan connected. You machine probably has fan control which makes the fan run when the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

dinnerentre

dinnerentre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well, i know you shouldnt run it without it connected, but like i said the CPU is already fried.

did you watch what it is doing in the video? when you turn a laptop on, it usually spins the fans for a bit whenever you first turn it on, which it is doing with the heatsink loose, but secured it does not.

i believe that is why the cpu fried, it was working but just stopped all the sudden, thats when i noticed that when you run it with the heatsink secure it gets VERY hot, blistering hot, and the fan NEVER turns on, so i thought it was a bad fan till i tested it as you can see, it works fine when it is loose from the MOBO.