Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP vs. 2000

• Please log in to reply

Bullwinkle88

Bullwinkle88

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Do most of you believe that Win. 2000 is a better OS - all things considered - than Win. XP?

I'm formatting a new C: drive and wondering whether a change in OS would be helpful.

I use this PC for my business as well as game playing.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 2000 is considered obsolete now, its two versions behind the current mainstream Windows, and Win2k Server is superseded by Windows Server 2003.

Realistically there's nothing major about Windows 2000 that isn't handled a lot better in Windows XP Professional. From a security viewpoint, all new security updates cease in 2010 for Win2k. It will be 2017 at the earliest before they stop for Vista, and most likely 2012 with XP Service Pack 3.

I would stick with XP. The only real benefits of Windows 2000 is that it is more stable than XP, but XP is pretty stable on its own and only falls over through factors not of its own making. Even Microsoft are recommending all Win2k users move to Vista.