Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xp boot default

• Please log in to reply

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi All
I have 2 operating systems on my pc, one, xp pro 32 bit and the second is xp pro 64 bit.
In my boot.ini i have moved the xp proffesional above the xp proffesional x64, but the 64 bit is still highlighted by default, so if I have to do a remote reboot, it will always boot to the 64 bit xp. the operating systems are on different drives. Without changing the boot drives order in the BIOS, (the 32 bit is on the primary master anyway) is there anything I can do to change it?
Thanks
Davy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi davyburns...

The default operating system can be selected or changed in System Properties...or by editing the boot.ini file.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, your current default operating system should be listed in the field at the top...use the drop-down menu to select the other operating system and "Apply" the change.

wannabe1

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks
That cured it! although editing the boot.ini didnt (unless i did it wrong).
Anyway, thanks again
Davy

Edited by davyburns, 07 May 2008 - 08:04 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're quite welcome.... :)

When editing the boot.ini file for this, only the line that begins "default =" needs to be changed so that it points to the operating system you wish set to default. Making this change through use of the drop-down menu will make this change to the file without having to edit.

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi again
So what your saying, is, if my boot.ini is:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

All i needer to do was to change the value (1) in line 3 to (0)?

Davy

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Again
Looking at my last post, I can see the change should be from (0) to (1) in line 3 after rdisk.
is that correct?
Thanks
davy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The default line should read just as shown to boot the 32bit operating system.

To make the 64bit operating system the default, the line would be: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks,
Got it now, of course the boot.ini I showed, was after I corrected it
Thanks again