Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there an easy way to copy my user settings to a new user?

• Please log in to reply

MoonBloo

MoonBloo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Important Plea: This question deals with purely cosmetic issues. Please if you are able to help rescue people, do not answer this or even read it any more, but go and help people whose taskbars are disabled by Lost.Golden.Bunny.Rabbit.

The Goal: I would like to use the "user profiles" feature of Windows XP to make it possible to change the look (background, desktop icons, etc) by simply switching users, and avoid having to change all those icons individually every time I want a costume change, not to mention all the other various settings and things that I don't even know enough about to say what they are, much less understand them.

In other words, I want to copy my user profile to a new user, with a different name, and just change the desktop background and icons, so that when Windows starts, I will have a choice of outfits.

Situation as it Stands: I am the only person who uses this computer. Currently, besides me, there are only a couple of junk users leftover from when I messed everything up after Essexboy had saved me from the vicious ravages of a catastrophic attack by the universally despised Malware Funpak of Lost.Golden.Bunny.Rabbit.**

Research to Date: My googling has not been as helpful as I would have liked, or maybe I have googled poorly, because all I have been able to find are very complicated and scary-sounding treatises and long and frightening lists of operations to perform on the Microsoft site, and a few other equally daunting procedures outlined on some other geeky sites, things that send you down into the bowels of the registry all by yourself where you could really mess things up, which is not a good idea for clueless people in the first place, and not a good match from a psychological standpoint for a clueless person who is still in Catastrophe Recovery and only wants the change of costume function to help with that, not send out attractive invitations to another self-inflicted catastrophe.

The Question at-a-Glance: So, my question is this: Is there an easy way to do it? Could there be a safe and clean freeware program that might do it for me?

Limitations, Terms and Conditions: I know that there are all kinds of commercial programs available that will do all kinds of things to ones Windows Wardrobe, but I am more than a little skittish about anything that is going to take over this or replace that important component of Windows, and I have also established an Agenda that involves minimizing use of system resources, and I would not want to spend a lot of resources on hair and makeup anyway. I want The Look for Less.

Semi-Coherent Extraneous Rant: Am I asking the impossible? Chasing after rainbows and windmills, living in a dream world where I get to have my cake and eat it too?

Or am I missing something so simple and obvious that if it were a venomous snake it would have bitten me right in the mousefinger, and you are shaking your head because you cannot imagine how anybody who has googled at all could have possibly missed it because everybody in the world knows all about it and does it like nine times a day?

The Question Re-stated and Italicized: For the benefit of those who, miraculously, are still reading this, but have forgotten the question because I am a Person Living with Brevity Impairment:

Is there an easy way for me to make a new user that has the same settings as an existing user?

Pro-Active Apology: If I have erred in posting this question, either at all or in this particular section, I am very sorry.

Footnote: **(Yes, I am the one who named it that, because somebody had to and nobody had)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Read here, see if this is what you are looking for: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

MoonBloo

MoonBloo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
LOL Not exactly, My profile, the one I want to copy, isn't corrupt, but one of the things I read was a Microsoft article similar to that one, with lots of steps, etc.

I was just hoping there was a quick and easy way to do it, involving less linear thought and fewer opportunities to mess everything up.

Especially since t is just a cosmetic issue, if there is not an easy way to do it, I don't want to take any chances trying to do some convoluted complicated thing, I will just be glad to have my computer back, and bloom in the the profile I am lucky enough to have!