Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser possibly timing me out?

• Please log in to reply

xsherm13x

xsherm13x

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I have online banking with a bank and what is happening to me is after I sit idle for 5 minutes and then go to navigate around again I have to re-authenticate myself with the system again by entering my username and password. I have spoken with their host company who owns the website and they said they have their timeout set to 20 minutes, they assured me of that.

Does internet explorer have anything built into it that would possibly time me out like this? I am at a loss and getting sick of this happening. Thank you very much for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of online banks time you out after five minutes for reasons of security. Do check with the bank themselves (not the people hosting their website) as to their exact policy regarding online banking.

xsherm13x

xsherm13x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I spoke to the bank and they told me they contacted the website monitoring company as well and they told me it is set to 20 minutes. I was just wondering, who knows maybe it's me just doing stuff and next thing you know 20 minutes went by and I am booted out and have to log back in again.