Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No plug & Play - Restore points do not work [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have had problems for a while, managed to get rid of w32.looksky spurious popups quickly using some malware programs but was left with the ("Cannot find 'file:///C:/WINDOWS/Privacy-danger/index.htm'.Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.) popup and the screen background disapeared. This were cleared using the "How to remove trojan.w32.looksky" routine.

The computer is also running slow

SP1a and SP2 were already installed a long time ago.

I have been through the routine you advise to try to clear the rest of the problems but still cannot get the USB ports to recognise new hardware, the other hardware, printers, drives etc. that were already installed still work OK, but new items do not.

None of my restore points work I have tried every one as far back as they go.

So here we go with the logs:

Attached File  additional_logs.txt   53.68KB   203 downloads

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I don't think this is a malware issue, but let's take a deeper look. You also need to update your Java:

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

Then, perform a scan with DSS.

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply. Note: It's likely that the two logs won't fit into one post. If so, please post extra.txt in a separate post.

Tal

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi Tal,

Many thanks for offering to help.

here are the logs

Main.txt

Attached File  additional_logs.txt   27.76KB   223 downloads

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Second log

extra.txt

Attached File  additional_logs.txt   27.47KB   154 downloads

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hmmm... I could only spot one baddy.

Before we start the registry fix, we need to backup the registry in case anything goes wrong. This is a very simple and quick process :)

• Please go to Start > Run
  • Paste in the following line: regedit /e c:\registrybackup.reg
  • Click OK. It won't appear to be doing anything, that's normal.
  • Your mouse pointer may turn to an hour glass for a minute. Please continue when it no longer has the hour glass.

Please open a new Notepad document (Note: Other text editors will not work) and paste the following code into it, starting from REGEDIT4:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c1d54748-cb69-11d9-aa46-000e5059a2c5}]

Now, click File > Save As... > Change the File Type to All Files > Name the file RegFix1.reg > Save it on your desktop.

Once you've saved it, please double click it. A window should pop up - Click Yes to merge the information with the registry.

Any changes? If not, we can take an even deeper look...

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi Tal,

I have made the change you advised.

I now get the following problem, see attached image. The stop code, if it is any use is:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E(0X0000005,0X805C607B,0XF78BE1E8,0XF78BDEE4)

I have to Safe Start and go back the the last good startup.

Cheers,

Ian

Attached Thumbnails

• Stop_error.jpg

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hmmm... OK. Computer looks clean besides that, does the blue screen return?

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi Tal,

I have had it 5 times today. Usually when I am logging on again after the computer has gone to rest. Sometimes ahen I log into AOL.

I also had the following error message.

See image.

Regards,

Ian

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows_cannot_find.jpg

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
OK let's try something else. I'm assuming you did the registry backup as instructed.

Navigate to C:\ and double click on registrybackup.reg. Click Yes to merge the information with the registry. Does this solve your problems?

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi Tal,

I have done what you suggest, will test it tomorrow.

Thank you.

Ian

Advertisements

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Good morning Tal,

Still got the same problems, the computer has shut down on me three times this morning.

I thought that I would try to get back to the restore point that I made after doing the Win32 clearout but it did not work.

When I reboot I have to use F8 and go back the the "Last known good start", I cannot even do a "Safe Start"

The most common problem is if the computer has gone to standby and I logon again, or sometimes when I change user either on Windows or change user on AOL. I have tried restoring AOL, but that has not cured it.

I presume that the register keeps going back to the Registry after we modified it when I do the F8 restart.

I am getting the following many times a day, see images.

Regards,

Ian

Attached Thumbnails

• Command_Blocked_Item.jpg

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Please hold, I'll consult with some experts and get back to you.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi,

Please navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump. There should be a list of files there, please upload the latest file in your next reply (Add Reply > Upload).

Tal

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi Tal,

This forum will not allow me to upload the file.

"Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file"

I have tried zipping it, and also renaming it as jpg, but neither works.

I can paste it into notepad, but it looks like gibberish to me.

Do you want me to send it somewhere using FTP?.

I still have to use F8 on startup.

I have been very careful lately and the computer only went down twice yesterday. Both times when I had been away from the computer for a while, both times it went when I was signing on to AOL.

Today I closed AOL for a while and when I tried to restart it the program would not fire up. I had to restart the computer, when I did, before it closed down, I got a dialog box saying it was closing waol.exe but the program did not close. I had to end it manually.

Thanks,
Ian

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yes, you can upload it to a file upload website, like momupload.com. Give us the link and someone will take a look at it :)

Tal